StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Persimmon wash

edited October 2013 in General

I am new to distilling and this forum. I want to produce a final product simular to Drambuie. I hope to begin with a wash made from persimmons. Can anyone give me guidance on how best to proceed?

Comments

• Why persimmons? Drambuie is a liqueur made from scotch whisky which is made with a malt based wash or beer.

• Free persimmons i bet.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I would think that the flavour profile would be all wrong using persimmons as a base. You would end up with persimmon brandy.

• Why persimmons? Because i find the flavor of a ripe persimmon very simular to that of Drambuie. Very sweet and earthy. As i said, i know not what i am doing. I did know that scotch was a malt based liquor but I had hoped that the persimmon flavor would translate in a final poduct and add another dimension. Yes, I have an abundance of persimmons. Would persimmon brandy lend its self to being blended with honey and spices to produce a simular flavor to Drambuie after being aged in a bourbon cask? Im not really trying to reproduce Drambuie exactly....just something simular or maybe better. i really enjoy the flavor or Drambuie.

• Now there's the perfect aim, and in line with what i try to do. I don't want a recipe for Jack Daniels, just to make an American Whiskey better than i can afford to buy.

There's no reason what you want to do won't work, but it's pretty unlikely that anyone has tried to do it before, so there's only one answer :))

You may well find someone who has fermented persimmons though and they may have some hints as to the outcomes. Give it some time for people to find it. Hell we have one lunatic here that fermented radishes.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Ive got 1.5 gallons of persimmon whiskey now. Just cooked it off last week. I havent gotten it from my buddy yet so i havent tasted it. I didnt know what was best so i put 8lbs of persimmons 2 pounds of sugar 1 pound of honey and 3 packages of bakers yeast in two 5 gallon buckets and topped them off with water. After a week i strained the solids out and let it contiue to ferment for another 15 days until the bubbles stopped. This approximate 10 gallons of wash resulted in 7 quarts of alcohol ranging from 150 proof to 90 proof where we stopped cooking it off. When i get my still and a better idea of where i am and where im going i will definately be refining my process. This is all new to me.

• radishes, really? :))

• edited October 2013

Yes, radishes! And there was another that used Metamucil in his ferments! Hell ya have to try to find out. Persimmons may make a damn fine Brandy type drink \m/

It is what you make it!

• Everytime I hear persimmons I can't help to laugh at the time I talked my yougest nephew into chewing on a wild persimmon by telling him the were sweet. His face puckered up so bad I thought he was going to swallow his lips :))

• I would make a 'port' from the persimmons

Stop the fermentation of a persimmon wash by adding persimmon brandy.

• I just got my Persimmon alcohol. It is very good by my limited standards. Medium-strong smell of persimmon and tastes smooth. I plan to age this in a used 5 gallon bourbon barrel. Any advice about how best to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

• Any updates on how this turned out?, knee deep in persimmon around here at this time of year.

• @bentstick said: Yes, radishes! And there was another that used Metamucil in his ferments! Hell ya have to try to find out. Persimmons may make a damn fine Brandy type drink \m/

Actually a combination of a Metamucil/Radish whiskey sounds pretty good

• If you've never done a Fruity Pebbles rumsky, you'll be amazed.