StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Grain bill for 12G of 8-10% ABV beer.

edited October 2013 in Recipes

Does anyone have a rough idea of what type of Brix/OG you get from one LBS/Kilo of corn with a 90% conversion? Thinking I might go for another Bourbon.
LBS/Gallon
G/L
wonder what type of grain bill I need for 12G of beer at 8-10% ABV.

Comments

• Get yourself a copy of the program Beersmith 2. That has a wealth of information regarding all grain recipes. It's made for beer but I use it to roughly calculate how much grain/extract/sugar I need for a mash.

• I agree with unsub & suggest you enter briess flaked maize for the corn and you should be close.

plan b would be to do an experiment and measure it ;-)

how are you hitting 90% conversion?

• Love me some Enzymes!

• edited October 2013

I'll raise that beersmith suggestion with the free version at BrewMate

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @nvnovrts To answer your original question:

15kg (33lb) is a VERY ballpark basic number for 100% 2-row malt. There are so many variables, but expect to need more depending on adjunct types.

• 90% looks a little bit on the optimistic side for conversion. That Brew Mate site is Gold!

• @nvnovrts said: 90% looks a little bit on the optimistic side for conversion. That Brew Mate site is Gold!

Indeed potential extract or available extract of flaked corn is 84%, feed corn is grown to have high protein so 84 is most likely on the high end. Your efficiency of extraction can be in the 70% - 80% range.

• purchased a couple brew books and have been studying. like to do a nice bourbon this winter after the grapes/juice have been exhausted.

• Just put down an all grain.

8.5kg Pilsner Malt Barley 5kg Steam Flaked Barley 6.5kg Steam Flaked Oats

Boiled for 60mins

Made up to 50L, currently "no chill" cooling in a keg.

Will re-hydrate some EC1118 and get her going tomorrow. (unless someone tells me not to) I do have some SafALE US-04 but I dont think it will attenuate aswell.

Do the 'big boys' boil their wort before fermenting?

• edited October 2013

I never boil or mash-out if I'm stilling.

Oh! "Big Boys" - I'm assuming you mean weight? :(

• edited October 2013

Law_of_Ohms i am sure that you know what you are doing. I have found that the US- 04 likes the sugars in grains and ec 1118 likes the sugars in fruits. Us-04 and US-05 ferments dry and clean. US-04 is a Great choise.

nvnovrts I think 8% is max on what you should shoot for in an all grain. Use 2lb per gallon. If you are shooting for quality the lower the % the more flavor you will get. the higher the % the less the flavor. With this I have seen as low as 4% and as high as 8%. Mostly 7-8%. Lots of factors go into %.

• might try both!

US-04 - I'll make a nice big starter.

Once bubbling has almost stopped, add ec-1118 to dry it out.

SG is ~ 1.080

Apparently S-04 will attenuate %70 so expect to finish @ 1.020

EC-1118 may take its time to go down to 0.990, I wonder if its worth it.

• I never have mixed them like that so I can't say yes or no. I have never used ec-1118 on anything other than fruit so you are on your own with this one unless someone else has advice.

• I've used the EC-1118 on panella and grain, it gives a fruity note to the finished product. I like the more neutral finishing yeasts. I usually do two differnt yeasts, one top fermenter and one a bottom fermenter.

• So maybe I might be using ec-1118 next all grain. I Like the fruity flavors. That's why I used it on fruit. I didn't think it would work on that kind of sugar. How is it on the contagers. Sorry I know spelling is bad