StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Grape Juice Stuck Fermentation

2»

Comments

• It will disassociate almost immediately so ok to taste after a while. Food grade would be better but in reality i see no difference . Its only small traces of impurities we are only concerned about and probably negligible

• edited November 2019

Label says "Active constituent 980g/kg sodium hydroxide"
    That is not 100% NaOH. It is 98% NaOH. In 500g of product there are 10g of not NaOH.
    I would be leery of any product whose label and MSDS disagree.

One determines one's own tolerance for risk.
    When one determines others' risk, one should exercise a high level of caution.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• SamSam
    edited November 2019

I noticed that as well, I assumed the legalities around MSDS’ and labelling are different. It can’t be listed as 100% pure because there are impurity’s in the manufacturing process.

I actually saw a food grade one advertised at 100% pure but the MSDS said it was 95-98%...

image.jpg
    800 x 201 - 47K
  • Food grade isn’t necessarily all about purity, it’s that the impurities must be non-toxic for consumption reasons.

• edited November 2019

What you are looking at there is the difference between what would be considered a Lab/Technical Grade chemical and an ACS Grade Chemical (if you use US standards):

The Seven Most Common Grades for Chemicals and Reagents @ Lab Manager

ACS grade meets or exceeds purity standards set by the American Chemical Society (ACS). This grade is acceptable for food, drug, or medicinal use and can be used for ACS applications or for general procedures that require stringent quality specifications and a purity of ≥95%.

You are always safe looking for USP Grade, which usually has a higher cost associated with it:

USP grade meets or exceeds requirements of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP). This grade is acceptable for food, drug, or medicinal use. It is also used for most laboratory purposes, but the USP being followed should always be reviewed prior to beginning to ensure the grade is appropriate for that methodology.

In some cases they are exactly the same chemical, made in the same way. However, the main differences for cost are sampling, purity testing and other regulatory reasons for the USP grade chemicals.

• edited November 2019

@Kapea said: Label says "Active constituent 980g/kg sodium hydroxide"
    That is not 100% NaOH. It is 98% NaOH. In 500g of product there are 10g of not NaOH.
    I would be leery of any product whose label and MSDS disagree.

One determines one's own tolerance for risk.
    When one determines others' risk, one should exercise a high level of caution.

Typical impurities in Sodium Hydroxide are Sodium Chloride (Salt) and Sodium Carbonate (which will always form in Sodium Hydroxide from reacting with CO2 in air).

Almost all the caustic soda in the world is made in the same way industrially. It's made by electrolysis from Salt, sodium chloride - which is why Salt is one of the impurities. Other impurities are hydrogen gas and chlorine gas - which are also byproducts (or the main products really) of the process. Which is also why NaOH, is generally always very pure. Any differences are from handling after the fact. Was it loaded by dirty bucket loader? Or treated as a food product?

You can't use this same thinking with every chemical

• edited November 2019

The idiots that are mixing up vape liquid by using commercial food flavors are playing a far more dangerous game than a little bit of caustic soda in a ferment.

• I did read on one product that was listed as food grade that its only 98% pure due to its exposure to the atmosphere.

I was thinking that it’s unlikely there would be two different manufacturing plants. I think I’m going to keep it going as once its distilled it should be fine. I will be brave and try it first... if you don’t hear from me you will know what happened.

Moving forward I will probably either use Calcium Carbonate or food grade Lye

• @grim said: The idiots that are mixing up vape liquid by using commercial food flavors are playing a far more dangerous game than a little bit of caustic soda in a ferment.

Separating the wheat from the chaff...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.