StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Dangerous amounts of pressure building up in my pot still

2»

Comments

• already did that ;-) took a good while.. just not stupid enough to try it. The gin baskets seem to have an inner basket smaller than the outer tube so the surface area the vapour can penetrate is massive compare to a 3" disk - I like that design... the disk isnt fit for purpose imo.

• edited December 2018

before and after

image.jpg
    389 x 800 - 139K
  • The disc is fit for lots of purposes, just not the particular one you chose for it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The one in the product description?

• @needmorstuff said: The one in the product description?

Has already been updated for clarification:

Filter disk made of stainless steel in 3 inch according BS 4825, which is compatible with all of our products with 3 inch tri-clamp flange connection.

Usual applications of such a filter disk are building filter segments or simple aroma baskets by adding these at the ends respectively connections of one or more 3 inch tri-clamp pipes.

Please be aware, that this filter disk has a fine mesh. It may not be suitable for all applications, as the disk may clog up or cause flow restrictions depending on the used materials.

For installation of a filter disk our appropriate special gasket is recommended.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Excellent. I think that is a useful update to set expectations accordingly.

• edited December 2018

@needmorstuff said: The one in the product description?

No, the one where you decided to leave out the coarser materials and put only fines, inline with no possible pressure relief rather than use the gin basket we specifically designed for your purpose.

I sell stainless gate valves too and recommend them for use in VM stills. I would never think that someone would use them in the manner you have and create a bomb with them.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Why obsess on elements that didn't even cone into play in my situation.. I could have had 20 gate valves in or zero valves and the filter disk would have had the same effect. Yes a pressure relief valve would have been superb and I have one on order. I learn from my mistakes but why let someone else make the same ones and not try improve the product description? My only aim is to stop an accident, Is that so bad?

But if you are the guy who needs to win the argument then i get that, Yes I did use a valve. You win.

• edited December 2018

@needmorestuff, if you really need more stuff I would highly recommend a Gin basket to make Gin. I have the StillDragon GB4 and its great. @punkin really helped me out when I bought it. It was only $400 and a steal at that price compared to blowing up your house or garage. My advice is that this web forum has a wealth of knowledge and helpful people. Don't come here and piss on the people who are running it.

Hey @punkin mate. That whiskey I sent you 9 months ago that was too woody, now its bloody great mate. If you didn't throw it out try it again.

• I always need more stuff! and I always take advice! That reminds me! I need to get that dump valve ordered.

• No worries mate, i'll find it, i know where it is.

• Let me know after you have tried it mate.

• edited December 2018

simple pressure release valve, just don't use tri-clamp..

image.jpg
    800 x 389 - 42K
  • You do some sketchy things.

• and thats not even solving the problem i just realised... pressure was in the boiler! not in the column. I do have the pressure release on order though.

• That's what i meant by sketchy. The dodgy solution is the wrong side of the problem.

• agreed! need that pressure release valve.

Even though my original problem is solved (i am just suspending a hop bag in the boiler with the other botanicals) I still want a pressure release valve and a pressure meter.