StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Replacement Fermenter O-Ring Seals - Ex Olive/Food Tubs - Australian prefered

edited September 2013 in Accessories

Hi all I've been chasing my arse all over Google trying to find a place that has replacement fermenter seals. I have several food grade tubs that I use for fermenters some are brown 80lt some blue 60lt plastic tubs (ex olives I think) that have the 2 piece lids. The inner actual lid with seal and the screw on outer ring. The seal appears to be approx 295-300mm diameter on the 60lt units. The seals look like approx 325-330mm on the 80lt tubs. Does anyone know who or where I can source replacements without costing a bucket load, as these tubs are only $15 each anyway.

Thanks

Fadge

image image image image image

1.jpg
600 x 800 - 89K
2.jpg
600 x 800 - 82K
3.jpg
800 x 600 - 77K
4.jpg
600 x 800 - 86K
5.jpg
600 x 800 - 68K
Tagged:

Comments

• I use similar drums and just threw away the seal. The positive pressure from the fermenter seams to sort it out ok. You could always just add a bead of silicone if you really wanted to.

• Have you trid People in Plastic 1 300 747 847 they may have an o ring type that might fit.

• @Myles said: .....The positive pressure from the fermenter seams to sort it out ok.

I have one with a damaged seal. Won't those damn fruit-flies be a problem without a good seal?

• edited September 2013

I have a couple of the brown ones here, i also took the seal out and don't use it, but i didn't throw mine away (i don't think). You are welcome to them if i can find them.

The other thing you can do is make your own. Go to your local engineering (bearings and bolts) shop and buy the seal material of yopur choice in the diameter you want by the meter. You then just cut it to length and use Locktite 401 superglue to join it.

I'll have a look in the shed this morning Fadge, when it get's lighter.

fruit flies are not a problem without the seal, they don't seem to get all the way rouind round the threads and it saves drilling the l;ids for an airlock.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I see i have an order for you this morning anyway. I'll stick em in with that if i can find them.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I only found a couple of rat shit worn ones mate, but should give you a good idea of the length you need. As i said, pretty sure the glue is Loctite 401 or 406 and you can just get edpm oring material in the diameter you need by the metre.

If you have any trouble they have it at my local engineering shop.

• I have made some gaskets before, just spray Pam non stick spray on the barrel lid seal area and smear some food grade RTV silicone on the lid where your old gasket is now, after you have removed it, slide the lid onto the barrell and apply even pressure by screwing the lid screw part half way or so, only snug it down, and let it cure overnight, then wipe off the Pam with a soapy water solution off the barrell and it should get you out of a bind for a while, because this gasket will peel off the lid in time but it still wroks. Then food grade RTV hi temp silicone is not exactly cheap but it does work so for the price of the RTV silicone tube you might be better off buying a new fermenter assembly and ask for extra gaskets:-). I use this method for the gaskets on my 55 gallon boiler and they are good fro 6 or 8 runs.

• edited September 2013

@punkin thanks
    And thanks to all for suggestions, the only reason l wanted to seal better is so the airlocks will show me how much activity is going on. I had one doing nothing until l opened it and bloody hell it was going real hard.

Fadge