Moving Larger Volumes of Wash - Fermenter to Dash

Hi - I'm currently speccing my dash order and realised as I'm starting to make rum, that the volumes of liquid I need to support quickly escalates! Currently I've been using a 25L boiler in the out house, but doing the 25L ferments in my house (where it's warmer - I live in UK where it's cold 10 months of the year!) Not sure if I can afford the 120L pot belly yet (but it will be the 100L milk can otherwise), I'll be making nearly 5 times the volume I do currently - then repeating it for multi-generational rum fermentation.

Currently I lift the fermenter onto a table and siphon 23L (ish) into my boiler (which I've brought into the house) then carry the boiler with wash into the out-house for distilling. When I go to 100L+ washes, clearly lifting a fermenter onto a table isn't practical, nor is carrying a filled boiler from one building to the other. It seems to me that either I have to fit new windows/doors to the out-house and properly insulate, so that I'm able to ferment outside or I'm stuck with many short siphon / shuttle runs from house to out-house. Sounds a bit crap. Am I missing something?

Is there a product where I can siphon and pump to the boiler in one go? I've seen the conical fermenters, but I don't think that will work for multi-generations of rum, so I seem to be stuck with siphoning these larger volumes. I'd appreciate any advice please.

Comments

• edited April 12

You can put a plastic tank fitting on any plastic fermenter and just run it out the bottom. Not that it applies to rum, but it's not difficult to put a grain filter in there either.
    Then a small pump will sort you out. Just have the fermenters up on a couple of bricks.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 131K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 50K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited April 12

Thanks @Punkin. As I'm not the most practical of individuals ... apologies in advance for the most basic of questions:

• Would I get these tank fittings from a garden pump / pond shop? Is that what you mean?
    • I think you mean the filter sits on the bottom of the fermenter (and comes out the side). Even if I sit it 1 inch off the bottom, I'm guessing this is going to pump a very cloudy wash to the boiler - yeast 'n' all, as it's fine enough to go through the metal filter?
    • What do you mean about the grain filter for rum please? The stuff left in the bottom of my fermenter was thick but no solids to speak of. Whatever filter I use for rum, won't the leftovers get pumped out with the wash, which means I won't have the yeast bed for my next gen ferment?
  • You can get them at tank/irrigation shops here in Australia so i assume the same in your neck of the woods.

You can mount it as high as you like, but if you use an external pump it shouldn't disturb the yeast bed too much.

I mean you wouldn't need a filter at all, but if you wanted to stick, say a green kitchen scourer up the pipe it would probably filter it just fine.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand