Vapor pipe diameter for hobby sized, multi column still

I am in the process of designing a modular, hobby sized still with a 15.5 gal boiler and 2-3 4” diameter columns, and curious about what size copper tubing I should use for the vapor paths. Since the larger size copper pipe gets pricey fast, I was curious what people thought would be the minimum diameter that would not cause issues with this size system. Even on commercial stills, it looks like 1-2” is common, could I get away with say ¾” copper without back pressure or flow restriction? Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • You are talking about side mounted columns?

  • The easy answer to this. Your condenser should contain the smallest vapour path in the system. It is also what you should design first as it is related to the power available. Design the condenser and then make sure that the rest of the vapour path is bigger.

  • Also reconsider copper for the down side of the vapor path. Copper good on up side, not so much for downside.

  • from what I have read +1

  • @Myles said: The easy answer to this. Your condenser should contain the smallest vapour path in the system. It is also what you should design first as it is related to the power available. Design the condenser and then make sure that the rest of the vapour path is bigger.

    Myles I find this a bit confusing. Can you say that again?

    @brewsmith, considering we use 2" diameter vapor supply piping for 8" and 12" diameter columns, I would say that 3/4" diameter vapor supply piping is generally fine.

    StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

  • curious what is the disadvantages to copper on the down side of the vapour path

  • edited January 5

    Copper particulate is more or less poison. Copper on the down side my allow an unwanted amount of copper in the finished product. Kinda why you never see finished product stored in copper vessels. Better on the up side of the vapor path to minimized the likelihood of coming over in finished product.

    Though it is a very traditional material and widely used without incident,,,doesn't mean it's not harmful in a measurable way.

    StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

  • @Smaug said: considering we use 2" diameter vapor supply piping for 8" and 12" diameter columns, I would say that 3/4" diameter vapor supply piping is generally fine.

    Agree 1000%

  • edited January 6

    @Smaug said: Though it is a very traditional material and widely used without incident,,,doesn't mean it's not harmful in a measurable way.

    Indeed! Using copper in the down path causes global warming!

    “Do I have to explain everything? Can’t you just be amazed and move on?”

  • edited January 6

    Retard lol!!!

    StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

  • My original setup had copper on the upside and downside, and I used to get blue crystals separating out in the tails after they'd been standing for a while. Presumably these were copper sulphate/sulphite, neither of which I want to risk getting into my final product. So I changed the downside to stainless steel, and now I don't get the blue crystals.

  • It’s the copper you can’t see that’s the problem.

  • so a copper product condenser is a no no , any body have a link on this info . thanks

    tim

  • all sorts of links, here is one.

  • Learnt me a new word from that - patinated. Makes since, just never seen patina in that form before. Too cool for school! Thanks Coth!

    “Do I have to explain everything? Can’t you just be amazed and move on?”

Sign In or Register to comment.