Single Malt Whisky

Hey everyone, I'm just begin having fun with my new pot still. I would like to make a single malt whisky, scotch style. Do you have any recipes?

Comments

• Not sure about where you're from and how much you know about mashing. Basically you make beer with peated barley and distill.

• +1, but smoking with different things or not even smoking it makes great whiskey too...

• Actually, to be a proper single malt, you don't really need peat or smoke. Irish whiskey can also be a single malt. Building on Unsensibel's comment, if you're an allgrain brewer, a single malt's easy to do. Although many just use one base malt, some of the flavors in specialty grains can come through nicely in a well-made whiskey. Think crystal or honey malts.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• use pale brewing malted barley about 3.5kg crushed to make 20L a wash of 6/7% . mash in at 62/63C rest for 1hour then sparge at 80/82C

• Hey there, I've been making Whisky for a while now, best results have been from straight Manuka smoked grain, and also red X caramalt came out pretty special, even an apple wood smoked malt one I made a few weeks ago is pretty good without aging in the barrel. I usually do a twenty or twenty five kilo bag of grain, and a twenty five kilo bag of Dex! Will give me around the 120 litres at six or seven percent! I also sparge the shit out of the grain cos the tannins aren't a problem, sometimes I even mash the spent grain again if the flavours are fragile and still in grain. Ferment with modiferm and a yeast with am. glucosidae. Just be warned it will froth right up through the your column if you're not careful!

• @Craigarino, have you tried boiling the wort before fermentation? I had the same problem with frothing the first try at scotch. I've been an all grain beer brewer for some time and thought the froth maybe proteins that are seen during the hot break wort boil when brewing beer..... I just ran another 50 lb bag of scot malt last night this time boiling the wort past the hot break hoping to reduce the frothing during distillation. Pitched my first run with Nottingham/DADY yeast bomb that did ok on efficiency.

• An onld friend who worked in the trade used a pack of glass marbles in the boiler. Swore it was the best thing for frothing. However, as a brewer myself, your observation makes perfect sense Matchstick.

• I will post my findings next week when I make the run with the boiled wort.

• I do 100% malted 2-Row Barley for 95% of my spirits. I have local breweries mash if for me and typically they boil , whirlpool, and cool it to 68 for me to transport to my shop and ferment and add a little UltraFerm.

A few months ago, I had a brewery call me in an emergency, their steam boiler had flooded the control panel which killed it and filled up the steam lines with water, they did not know it until they had mashed out 30+ bbls or wort (4000L+)and transferred to their boil kettle... they sealed it off, I picked it up the next day, they ran it through the chiller when filling the totes, and I treated it normally... wort and beer tasted similar... not much difference that I could tell in the hearts of the spirit run.... yeast health and fermentation temp are far more influential...

As far as foaming, Fermcap S all the way... I get 20% more boiler capacity with it....

Regarding recipes, buy the book "Alt Whiskey" from Derek Bell from Corsair... worth every penny...

• @cothermandistilling I agree on the book Alt whiskey. I have read it about 20 times. That and trying some different whiskeys recently I have my idea of what I want to make. Great book. Just buy it.

• +1 on Alt Whiskey & FireWater for smoking malts / grain

• I could tell some improvement with frothing from boiling the wort. Ill try Fermcap S next go-round. Thanks CothermanDisilling for the info!