Oak Powder

edited July 2016 in General

I like to know if some one has experiment with adding Oak Powder to there fermentation there use this powder in wines fermentaion. Details below...

Typically used loose at the crusher or added to the must prior to fermentation

• White Wines: 0.5 - 3 g/Litre of wine
  • Red Wines: 1.0 - 5 g/Litre of wine

Oak powders added early to the wine can aid in the stability of the colour polymers and offer excellent oxidation protection to the wine. Being very fine they present no problems with pumping over or racking off

Comments

• I personally would be scared of powder because ultimately you need to get it out. In our cider business we use oak chips as well as others which impart both flavouring and colour. With chips this happens very quickly.

• How if it was yo be distilled. It's just a way off ider out of the box iders are the best. Even if I use chips and take them out before distilling. What would this experiment do?

• But then surely at point of distilling you will loose flavour / taste and colour. I would have added post distilling and then blended.

• edited July 2016

Just thought out of the box. Guess it will lose all flavour when Distilled. Oh well

• I think its well worth trying. Wood flavor is carried strongly in the distillate. It changes though and the oaked product tastes like trees a bit.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2016

Oaked product tastes like trees?!
    Who would have seen that coming... B-)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited July 2016

Random anecdote, can't try this, distillation of wood is specifically prohibited by municipal zoning code.

screenshot.jpg
    800 x 91 - 22K
  • Gasifying?
    In water and no pressure I don't think there's much risk.

• edited July 2016

I'm still wondering why you would distill bones.

• Guess this out of box idea is busted.. We don't want to poison ourselves. Anyone have some out of the box ideas. Happy to see experiment with other things

• Isn't the best activated charcoal made from bone? I think bone char as something to do with pottery too. Fine bone china?

• Bone char @ Wikipedia
    I think it was in sugar production that I'd heard about it.

• Destructive distillation @ Wikipedia is not possible with what you were intending. I wouldn't worry about it. Give it a go and see what happens.
    I've always wondered what what come out if you re-distilled an aged product?!?
    Maybe age your low wines in oak then do the spirit run? Would there be any benefit? Storage requirements would go up, so too would the cost.
    Probably a waste of time but an interesting thought. :-?

• Trying to say that i have done it. When i say it tastes l8ke wood i mean that all the vanilla, maple and nice flavors are gone and the remain8ng oak is like sucking on an ice cream stick.

J7st wood flavour.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand