StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

ADI Conference 2017 in Baltimore? Seriously?

13»

Comments

• @grim said: The other factor to consider is whether the initial ester production is ephemeral - since this is an equilibrium reaction, what happens when you proof down your spirit? If you just end up shifting the ester back to acid - the use of the catalyst was irrelevant.

What if one were to proof with a higher ph water like that alkaline ionized water (kangen water without the side order of MLM) stuff? Maybe this would be a way to preserve or even enhance flavor profiles.

Did I just invent something here?!?

• Play it into the alkaline water health craze and you may have a winner, there.

• A weird side note.... I left a half IBC tote of clear malted barley low wines sit for a month (no particular reason other than short on time), and went to taste the other day to compare to the Rum, and they had VASTLY improved... I am thinking the airspace... slight oxygenation.. I am thinking those guys in Europe with rooms full of demijohns are on to something, LOL... not I have to decide it I want to intentionally age my low wines like this...

• edited July 2017

Michael I can substantiate your observation. Aging rum beer (and wine) can indeed make a very good,,,no,,,I'll say improved finished product.

Though I do apologize that I really can't confirm any repeatable methodology beyond leave it alone in the hot Florida distillery for more than a week.

Any experience was simply born out of laziness.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited July 2017

@CothermanDistilling - Low wines improved post-distillation or was it just the flavor/aroma before?

I had 55 gallons of rum tails sitting around for like 6 months, loosely covered, they were fantastic - the aroma was incrediblely rich. No wet dog, no pungency.

• @grim said: I had 55 gallons of rum tails sitting around for like 6 months, loosely covered, they were fantastic - the aroma was incrediblely rich. No wet dog, no pungency.

A serendipitous dunder pit?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Anybody heard any rumors about the location for ADI 2018?

The AHA NHC 2017 was held in Minneapolis. I hope the ADI does not continue the tradition of following the AHA's venues the following year. Denver or back to Seattle would get my vote.

• Portland I believe

• Acsa in Pitt

• Portland will definitely work!
    The epicenter of the craft brewing renaissance.

• A quick check of the AHA's website shows the NHC in Portland in 2018.
    @grim did you mean the homebrewers, or distillers, or both?

• Yeah Portland=AD I

ACSA = Pitt

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Pittsburgh... truth in advertising. Cool baseball stadium there though.