Why does gin and tonic taste so good?

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

Tagged:

Comments

• It sure is a nice drink on a hot summer afternoon. I tend to prefer lemon ( and quite a lot of juice ) rather than lime as different to the article.

Question. Has anyone found a tonic syrup that stacks up to commercial stuff. I have bought about 6 different types but all lacking. Have made a few brews of tonic but it sure is hard to filter out the bark and am in the process of setting up a vacuum filter arrangement to assist and no recipe as yet is where I want it. All the tonics syrups I have bought are more like a TONIC and not like Indian tonic water or bottled tonic.

• edited May 2016

Pineapple and blue cheese. Love both. Never tried them together until just now. Yum! Who knew?

I do eat pineapple with kimchi (a bite of each, not mixed on the plate) The hot, sour, and sweet together are very nice. Best if eaten using hashi (chopsticks).

Up next: Strawberries and coriander.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• In terms of odd combos - love strawberries and balsamic. Reduce them both into a sauce over vanilla ice cream - damn.

• Some of those are like taking opposites side of the color wheel and putting them together to get complementary colors, only with tastes instead (including hot and Umami). Asian cultures are brilliant at it. Hot/sour, sweet/sour, sweet/salty like watermelon and feta.
    Tonic is obviously sweet and bitter.

• The article linked to in the OP gives a list of foods that are matched/synergistic chemically.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Synergistic? Did you read the coloured molecule/cardboard explanation?
    It almost sounded like they were referring to polar/ nonpolar molecules but then smoke start pouring out of my bullshit'o'meter and I had to stop reading.

• I find the most consistent tonic is Schweppes but it seems to be much sweeter these days so a 50/50 mix of tonic and soda water is what I make my G&Ts with. As for lime, I reckon it gives a rather depressing and melancholy taste to gin, so lemon is the go.
    Usually a Lisbon as Meyers are just a bit too sweet too.