EC1118 for TPW and Ginger Beer

Is 500 grams for AU$65 OK? So I'm buying for tomato paste wash. Can I use it for ginger beer? Is there a recipe on here for ginger beer?

Comments

• edited May 2016

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Any chance of a cut and paste on that? (not a member)

• sorry didn't know it was a closed thread. It's 5 pages long, i'll find the latest iteration.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited May 2016

23L into fermenter

1 can of Coopers Ginger Beer (kit)
    1 bottle of "Buderim Ginger Refresher"
    600-800g of fresh ginger (coarsely grated)
    Handful of chillies finely chopped, seeds and all (This bit is subjective, but I find a heaped handfull of "hot" chillis to be ample)
    1kg of Dextrose/Sugar
    Coopers Kit yeast (although my latest batch uses US05)

Boil the chillies and ginger in ~4L of water for about 30 mins (add in required amount of DAP into boil 5 mins from the end (or old out of date yeast packs work too)), strain into fermenter and add rest of the ingredients.

Piece of piss crowd pleaser!

You're aiming for a very dry finish. I've used (to success) WY1272, US05 and Notto to achieve SG around 1.002-3. This is the key, drying out the finish, however don't go doing that with champagne yeast.

Sorry az, looks like your 1118 is out. :))

Some chat about reducing the chillis for those not into 'hot' and using only half a bottle of the Ginger Refresher Cordial for those who are not into the artificial sweetner taste (even though the company claims there is no atrificial sweetner in it).

• You're aiming for a very dry finish.

Cheers. So my past experience of home-made ginger beer is you have a choice between a dry finish or a cupboard full of wet shrapnel.

Is there another way? Have you ever heard of people adding lactose or heat treating to retain sweetness?

• Add sweetness to the glass before or after pouring with a simple sugar syrup or even a small top up of the ginger beer cordial from either Budgerim, Bundaberg or Soda Stream.

Simple, predictable and no bottle grenades.

• @AZZA1984 said: Is there a recipe on here for ginger beer?

Have a look here.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited May 2016

I use both US05 and EC1118 pretty regularly - US05 is no slouch, but I think that EC1118 beats out US05 in attenuation. If you are going for extremely dry, I don't see why EC wouldn't get you there.

EC goes faster and deeper.

Damn, I did it again.