Watery Distillate

The first two batches of distillate taste watery. What have I done, only getting 60% then water it down to 40% don't have a still dragging yet planing soon.

Comments

• PS can it be the turbo yes as I am moving into a tomato paste wash my next batch. Will start tomorrow with the TPW

• What wash recipe were you using? It was likely your ingredients, yeast issues will generally make an off flavor rather than a lack of one.

• edited April 2016

@RobertS said: What wash recipe were you using? It was likely your ingredients, yeast issues will generally make an off flavor rather than a lack of one.

I only have a reflux still at the moment and the water was a turbo wash going to try a tomato paste wash but been told I need a pot still. Buying a Crystal Dragon in 5 months.

• It's my cousins gear

• What was your potential alcohol (as calculated from your starting and final gravity)?

• edited April 2016

@grim said: What was your potential alcohol (as calculated from your starting and final gravity)?

Didn't do that that time did it this time with the TPW got 1070.

P.S with the yeast it says a tablespoon of EC1118 but there didn't have that down the road I got Vintners harvest Sn 9 but it's says each sachet is for 25 litres. But with the EC1118 it says just 1 tablespoon. Do I have to put in 2 sachets it's a 40 litre wash. Recipes in the book I got from StillDragon.

• I am doing TPW with time.

• edited April 2016

Getting 60% on a reflux still seems really low, with a 9% wash input, which indicates to me that either you were running it like a pot still, or your wash alcohol was significantly lower than you thought it was.

If you were running it with very low reflux (or if your reflux still is very inefficient, you are barely getting the equivalent of 1 plate) - I wouldn't imagine anyone would describe the distillate as "watery". A 10% pot stilled wash should punch you in the face with flavor right off the still.

I would have imagined, even with a roughly run inefficient reflux still, you would be seeing well north of 80% on a 9-10% wash input.

I'm leaning towards your fermentation being a bust. Although, I would have imagined you post would have been about stuck fermentations, and not the watery distillate.

What was your hearts cut yield? How many ml at 60%?

• Just learning the part of the cuts. I got about 4l. What did you think about the sn9? Djould I just go the same what you would do with the EC1118 or what the sachet says.

• Use 2 satchets for a 40l wash to be safe. Thats about a tablespoon if they are 5gm satchets

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Use 2 satchets for a 40l wash to be safe. Thats about a tablespoon if they are 5gm satchets

I use just one last night what was 1 tbsp should I put the satchet in when I get home.

• If it's going like a train don't worry. If it's only bubbling every minute or so then probably.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• A condenser water leak would explain the low abv and watery output....

• Sort of, it still shouldn't taste watery at 60%abv

• What does the burn in alcohol

• Missing that too

• Are you sure ABV is being measured correctly? Watery and no burn does not sound like 120 proof spirit.

• edited April 2016

@AZZA1984... I think @meatheadinc is on to something. easy enough to figure out

disconnect your condenser from the still, hook the water up to it and turn the water on

it should just circulate thru the condenser, if water drips out of the vapor path

thats your problem,

• ....what are you using to check the abv ?

• edited April 2016

@frodo said: AZZA1984... I think meatheadinc is on to something. easy enough to figure out

disconnect your condenser from the still, hook the water up to it and turn the water on

it should just circulate thru the condenser, if water drips out of the vapor path

thats your problem,

No it's not that I just have to wait for this wash to fished it has just started to go today

• edited April 2016

@punkin said: If it's going like a train don't worry. If it's only bubbling every minute or so then probably.

Put another packet in now she's going like a train

• edited April 2016

This is what I got from the bottle of vodka and my herb liqueur that tastes watery and not right. Under the alcohol meter could this be the essence. Confusing the alcohol metre

image.jpg
    450 x 800 - 34K
  • There's two bottles that I mixed up so the alcohol metre wouldn't hit the bottom

• It's under the 0

• If that is accurate, then it'll taste like water because that's what it is. You've just made some cordial, sorry.

• edited April 2016

A hydrometer will not work to measure the alcohol in a spirit that contains a high volume of dissolved solids and/or sugar.

You said liqueur and it looks dark, so I am assuming it contains quite a bit of both.

• That would still have to be fairly low alcohol to start with and/or very high solids to drop it below a 0 reading.

@AZZA1984, at what point did you read 60 instead of the <0 you're showing now? Why is it <0 now when you were reading 40 when watering it down? Did you add enough sugar/syrup to drop it from 40 to 0?

• I got a new wash I'll start from scratch. I'm writing everything down.

• to determine alcohol level of something with solids such as sugar dissolve in, you need to carefully distill off the alcohol from a known sample with a lab still, and then reconstitute that alcohol to the original volume and then use the hydrometer...

• OK this is good and has now stopped and will open a new one of my 1st tomato paste wash