Spillage Retaining Walls

Are they required in the US in case of tank failure?

Comments

• yes, for H-3... 'spill control'

• Wonder why a basic curb is not used? That "wall" doesn't seem very user friendly.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• They had left over block :)

• "shall be constructed to contain a spill from the largest single vessel "

How did we get there?

Lets start with the Building Code, I googled: International Building code spill control

lets pick:

IBC 415.8.2.4 Leakage containment.
    A liquid-tight containment area compatible with the stored liquid shall be provided. The method of spill control, drainage control and secondary containment shall be in accordance with the International Fire Code.

So, we google and get:

TABLE 5004.2.2 REQUIRED SECONDARY CONTAINMENT—HAZARDOUS MATERIAL SOLIDS AND LIQUIDS STORAGE

Flammable liquids - Class IA/IB/IC - See Chapter 57

and we scroll down to:

IFC 5703.4 Spill control and secondary containment.
    Where the maximum allowable quantity per control area is exceeded, and when required by Section 5004.2, rooms, buildings or areas used for storage, dispensing, use, mixing or handling of Class I, II and IIIA liquids shall be provided with spill control and secondary containment in accordance with Section 5004.2.

IFC 5004.2 Spill control and secondary containment for liquid and solid hazardous materials.
    Rooms, buildings or areas used for the storage of liquid or solid hazardous materials shall be provided with spill control and secondary containment in accordance with Sections 5004.2.1 through 5004.2.3.

IFC 5004.2.1 Spill control for hazardous material liquids.
    Rooms, buildings or areas used for the storage of hazardous material liquids in individual vessels having a capacity of more than 55 gallons (208 L), or in which the aggregate capacity of multiple vessels exceeds 1,000 gallons (3785 L), shall be provided with spill control to prevent the flow of liquids to adjoining areas. Floors in indoor locations and similar surfaces in outdoor locations shall be constructed to contain a spill from the largest single vessel by one of the following methods:

1. Liquid-tight sloped or recessed floors in indoor locations or similar areas in outdoor locations.
    2. Liquid-tight floors in indoor locations or similar areas in outdoor locations provided with liquid-tight raised or recessed sills or dikes.
    3. Sumps and collection systems.
    4. Other approved engineered systems.

Except for surfacing, the floors, sills, dikes, sumps and collection systems shall be constructed of noncombustible material, and the liquid-tight seal shall be compatible with the material stored. When liquid-tight sills or dikes are provided, they are not required at perimeter openings having an open-grate trench across the opening that connects to an approved collection system.

• edited March 2016

Just a rough look at that geometry, a single block would have been sufficient.

It's a catch 22 - that step and configuration wouldn't meet building code or osha.

• a dollar says it is what the city or county AHJ wanted... yes, a single block would have done it...

• My boiler room is solid block with a fire door and sprinkers - city wanted it.

• Correct term is bunding
    100% of largest tank is too small around here but I guess is OK in some areas/industries.
    If one tank fails you want a bit of freeboard and if one failure causes another to fail your fuct. Obliviously if you double the floor area you half the required height.
    I've seen large petro-chem tank farms with bunding that was nothing more than an exaggerated 'speed hump' that encircled the area.
    Isolation on the drainage with a pit and sump pump is also usually a feature.