StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Luna's kahlua

Had some fun tonight making kahlua and thought I'd share the recipie. Turned out a little sweet for my liking, but made a real nice white Russian with some homemade vodka.

2 quarts boiling water
7 cups sugar
1 cup instant coffee
2 oz vanilla
1 quart of 190 proof neutral

Melt sugar in one quart of boiling water. Boil another quart of water and add the instant coffee. Boil for 1 minute and then let cool. Add the vanilla and alcohol. Mix both mixtures together and enjoy!

Tagged:

Comments

• Coffee, sugar, alcohol and vanilla. What's not to like?

• edited July 2013

This is the one i use.

I use 1/2 cup less sugar than the recipe. It needs to age for a month to get to it's peak.

Much better than the coffee one the Doctor does using store bought essences and sells to the public.

Kahlua style Coffee Liqueur (using real coffee)

2 cups ground coffee beans (medium roast pure arabica beans - Blue Mountain style would be appropriate)
    3 cups boiling water 
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup light brown sugar 
    3 cups pure alcohol (40%abv) 
    1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. glycerin 

Combine boiling water and ground coffee, strain through sieve filter - basically a filtered coffee (or make it using a coffee pluger). Combine coffee and sugars, in a saucepan and heat for 5 minutes, but do not boil. Allow to cool. Stir in alcohol, vanilla, glycerin. You could try a short cut version with 10 tsp. of premium instant coffee powder (1/2 cup)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited December 2013

What do you find is the easiest way to filter it @punkin? I don't have a plunger but that may make it easier, coffee filter in funnel takes ages!

• I use a plunger but don't filter.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited December 2013

+1 for fresh coffee beans as above

I use fresh ground coffee beans and just simmer in a big pot for about 30-60 mins, try to strain it using a sieve, cloth etc, its a pain is the arse to do- for me this is the worst part of the job, but does the house smell so good when making this one up.

I always finish up with little bit sediment/coffee grounds in the finished product, but at least I know its "real" and its not an issue when drinking or pouring from the bottle, (a bit like home made wine)

Add dark brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla etc simmer again, chuck a couple of glugs of chocolate topping in as well. Let in cool and add the alcohol to be around the 40-45% mark in total.

When bottling keep the vanilla beans aside then add half or a third to each bottle.

Age for as long as you can...works out bloody fantastic.

Its very strong in coffee taste and my wife's Italian relatives and friends crave for it whenever they visit (and I always send a bottle home with them)

Drink neat, on ice, with milk, on ice-cream or all of the above!

Dont have the exact qtys for this recipe on hand but I make up a 10 lt batch, close to the one above I'd say. I dont use glycerin in mine.

Fadge

• I have some coffee beans here that Rossco sent me, homeroasted from his garden. They smell good enough to give a corpse wood and i'll be making some kahlua up soon i reckon with some of them.

• edited December 2013

Should try and cold press/brew those beans. I have been drinking alot of.cold press lately. You get the full flavour and sweeter profile without the bitterness associated with.extract/heating the beans. You could then let the.liquid evap off till you had a gorgeous cold pressed extract made from homegrown beans mixed with primo hearts. I'm in :)

• I'll google it mate. I have read a little about it, but the coffee fad has completely passed me by.

While i can see that a mocha or cuppucino is really nice, i am happy as Larry with a cup of instant at home and would not in buy a cuppa in six months.

• If I were to use a Pro coffee machine, how much coffee (crema) would you think would be required to add to the water, since it is hard for me to tell how much coffee it actually uses. I am guessing that the average is about 30 ml to a cup, equating maybe to 60ml of the crema? Cold filtered sounds great also, removing some of the bitterness that comes from scorching the coffee.

• Honestly I'd not bother with using a coffee machine, you need a fair whack to make up a batch. I have a decent auto machine that grinds and produces a nice crema etc, but never used it as it would take fore-ever and just not strong enough (seriously). Real coffee or even a quality instant is ok. I always go strong and it mellows out after a bit of aging. In fact just writing this, has tempted me for glass on crashed ice, been a while since I had one...

fadge

• At least 6 Mths aged and fantastic stuff, reckon I'll have a second. Its the only stuff I make that's over 40%...almost 50% but generally shots only or a dash in a real coffee.

• Thanks Fadge, I was just asking because we have a pro San Marino machine at work. I dragged 500ml of crema out of it tonight and stored it. May just go for course grinding and simmering for an hour then.