StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Home Beer Brewing Revolutionised at a Cost

2»

Comments

• Well you can't buy milk in china. Even the ice coffee is just a cup of coffee poured into an ice coffee container. Not a milk drink.

Guy'sGottaHaveSomeNutritionForBreakfastPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Not decided by any means just intrigued I like the process but a good result makes it all the better, being that I have zero beer making knowledge I like to question stuff and don't bother it's too expensive isn't really an answer. I know that t500 and turbo yeast makes shit spirit because of the info on here so that was the similar approach I was taking with this. If my wort is good so to should be the beer right?? I just saw this as an ready made solution to finishing and serving the beer rather than old fridge converted and a heap of jury rigged gear to get the job done. If money wasn't a factor would this be a well received piece of kit? Or is it a limitation long term as my beer hobby expands?

• edited January 2016

@FloridaCracker said: I just wish congress would hurry up already and make this shit legal because my only concern is losing my shit through confiscation.

Brewing beer at home has been legal in Florida for over 35 years.

I started in Orlando with a kit IPA on St. Patrick's Day 1989. I had just started a job where I was subject to the random wiz quiz, so I couldn't partake of consuming my homegrown pakalolo any more. Brewing my own beer turned out to be a very enjoyable (and legal) replacement.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited January 2016

For me it's not the cost Johnboy, but the value. Cost is forgotten not long after purchase for this sort of stuff, but it's value you live with forever. If you can do the same thing better for a quarter of the cost then the value isn't there.
    But value is subjective, so if it suits you down to a tee and the limitations that it has (and there are quite a few) don't impact on your lifestyle then it's right for you.

Seems to me though if you want to have more than one beer (maybe you like hoppy APA's and your mates will only drink lagers) then you need to have that old fridge anyway to get a couple of taps.
    BTW that old fridge can get pretty flash. I have a 300l kegerator outside in the entertainment area with lines punched through the wall going into this neat little installation in the lounge room.

bar4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I see your point so spend the time and less $$ to set up nicely and long term the value is better. An old chest freezer would work nicely as a fermenter temp control for brewing duties in the shed and a nicer kegerator setup could be put in outdoor entertainment area rigged up to taps and still have cash for grain father or similar brew gear, as hobby expands.

• No milk in China?

• What's up with the joker picture on the wall @punkin?
    I like it, but if it were in my bar it would be full of dart holes (or worse).

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Pretty sure my great dane would figure out how to work those taps, and then proceed to have a big party while I'm out.

• Didn't see milk anywhere.

Didn't see beer anywhere either :))

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Yeah Kapea, I know all about the beer and wine thing but it just doesn't interest me as I can't drink much beer before I bloat up and feel like shit.

I go straight for the strong shit.

• edited January 2016

@punkin said: Yep, you even saw me forcing down a PBR for breakfast one morning

Any morning you get to have a beer for breakfast is a good morning. Even a shit, (pH all wrong) Chinese one.

@Johnboy said: Not decided by any means just intrigued I like the process but a good result makes it all the better, being that I have zero beer making knowledge I like to question stuff and don't bother it's too expensive isn't really an answer.

The wort in a tin has been condensed using essentially the same process that is used to condense milk. If you add water to rehydrate condensed milk, you get milk right?

:))

• edited January 2016

Only problem with a chest freezer for fermenting is the lifting, but if you're only doing 20l washes you may be alright with that. Other than that your plan is sound, you can buy a new chesty from ebay for a couple hundred dollars for a serving kegerator and pick up a cheap one from gumtree to hide in the shed for next to nothing.
    Put them both on STC's and you're laughing.

This is how mine looked before i moved it outside.

kegfridge17.jpg
    800 x 600 - 42K

• Punkin that APA looks interesting, no bittering hops? I got confused when I was Stateside because I kept asking for a pale ale and getting something like an Aussie Sparkling with a really flowery profile. Ended up drinking IPAs instead.

• On the converting the fridge idea.

@Johnboy are you having a go at my fridge :)) , i thought it looked ok.

• edited January 2016

Would look better in stainless.

20151010_160829.jpg
    800 x 450 - 64K
  • no chilled Rossco so plenty bitter above the 30 something ibus it states.