StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Fumes and Vapors

edited June 2013 in Usage

anyone ever had issues with fumes and or vapors from running indoors?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• I run indoors. If my vent fans are not on I can start to feel a little tipsy from the vapors. But that would be 4-5hours into a strip run. With my vent fans it is not an issue.

• Running a wash will expel CO2 and also carry over some smell from the fores with the CO2 that the condensers simply cannot condense. A spirit run does not do this unless the condensers are not working properly. This is usually only noticeable at the beginning of the wash run.

You can expect a stripping run to stink more at the beginning than on spirit run. This is normal and proper ventilation at all times is certainly advised when running a still.

When its normal and expected its not so worrisome but if it persists then you probably have a leaky still connection that needs to be fixed.

• As long as you are circulating the air and venting I don't think you would even reach a point where the vapors reach the flash point of concentration. Especially with no open flame.

• I run in my shed which has only an open door and a roof vent/whirlygig. I use gas and it's not a problem. I don't listen to the chicken littles on this stuff.

• You could always buy a cockatoo and keep it near the still.

Answers

• Any issues with fire and explosions? (I'm using electric) have a couple vent fans but still get a buzz and the whole house smells awesome after the run. The GF thinks I'm going to blow up the house. she did a google search for the dangers of running a still indoors and got a slew of less than favorable results. So I'm doing my home work to see if in fact, even with the fans in place there is a clear and present danger. No open flame, decent venting, and I'll add another fan next run.

• that was the primary reason to go electric. thanks guys.

• I know its wasteful but I seldom distill deep into the tails only because of the smell.
    That smell can also carry over a little into the fores of the next run as it washes out the condenser.
    Do you get a strong alcohol odor throughout the entire run? Is the distillate warm or hot when it exits the condenser?

• @Lloyd said: I know its wasteful but I seldom distill deep into the tails only because of the smell.
    That smell can also carry over a little into the fores of the next run as it washes out the condenser.
    Do you get a strong alcohol odor throughout the entire run? Is the distillate warm or hot when it exits the condenser?

I never go very deep into the tails either. I used to re-run the tails in the next run but found it gave more fores and took longer to settle into heads/hearts The product is cool on exit from the condenser. I get that big methanol cherry jubile hit up front and then it settles down quickly. I'm on tap water here so I just keep the cool water running enough to keep the condenser cool to the touch more than half the way up.

I have no issues with it being safe but, the GF is a silly thing and likes to voice her concerns though even she admits she doesn't totally understand the physics at work with fans and heater elements....

:-$

• I have seen first had the damage that can be done when you get ignition I worked across the road from a tablet manufacturing plant that had dryers for drying ethanol from tablets after they have been pressed the blast was felt 100mtrs away all the windows blown out the saving grass was the roller doors blow out and flapped in the breeze the people on the top floor said the floor moved like a wave the cause was using mechanical contactors on the heating elements I have just refitted my boiler with electronic contacters I would recommend all to do the same .

• mechanical contacter?/?

• Don't run indoors, but in a somewhat confined space. Barring a leak, I found the odor was coming from the vents on the surge breaker. A quick check with your nose by it will confirm it or not.

• I used to run on electric boiler in bathroom with ceiling extractor fan on. No problems I feel as long as there's good ventilation. Have a fire extinguisher available just in case. Oh and don't smoke.