StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Latest Naming Contest

Comments

• No skiing.

Winter Park as in "get out of the cold and snow".

Winter Park Florida.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited December 2015

You might be a little disappointed if you move to Winter Park for the skiing.

Water skiing, perhaps.

• edited December 2015

@Paul I lived in your neighborhood for a loooong time. No snow there (except maybe 1977).

Used to ski on Lake Virginia a lot back in the day...

My first homebrew club got it's start meeting at the Winter Park Mill brewpub in 1989. CFHB

What's the significance of your bear? Bear Gully Lake? (I get the Genius Dr. Peacock)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Lies, all lies.

• The Winter Park Chain of Plates

• Draconem Diabolum

• @Desvio said: Draconem Diabolum

Just googled that.

Dark stuff.

• Draconis Magnifico

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• "The one with two columns" seems way easier than that black magic stuff.

• Kapea you take me back to my youth with references to the "snow" of '77 and the beer and muffins at the Mill. You are correct about the bear being a reference to the Bear Gully Lake area (remember Glen Turner's castle?). The reason that area is so near and dear to my business partner, Andrew and me, is that back in the day it wasn't much more than woods and orange groves. Consequently, when high school kids wanted to go out in the woods, build a bonfire (Bonfire is the name of our newest bourbon - see a theme here?), drink beer and do all the other things we weren't supposed to be doing, we went where we knew we would be left alone at Bear Gully. Later, when we started producing our flagship bourbon, we decided to name it after the fond memories we have of Bear Gully. We hope that anyone who has ever enjoyed a beverage alongside a bonfire in the woods will equally enjoy sipping on our Bear Gully Bourbon!

• Good stuff Paul.

• You guys came up with some really cool names, making my job exceptionally difficult to decide on just one winner. Hell, I was gonna do an honorable mention list, but even that is too hard because the list would be so damn long! The winner is a late entry from someone who has inside knowledge giving him a distinct advantage (is that cheating?). It is a reference to the world famous Winter Park Chain of LAKES...

• ...And, the winner is...Kapea with his entry, THE WINTER PARK CHAIN OF PLATES. Congrats to you, Kapea!!!

Thank you again to all of you for your remarkably clever ideas! Happy New Year!

• Congratulations Kapea.

I'll get you packed up and sent out.

We still have to decide on the SD concept name. We will decide by January 1, so that half of the contest is still open.

Thank you Paul for chiming and being the Grand Poo Ba for our naming contest.

• @Paul said: Kapea you take me back to my youth with references to the "snow" of '77 and the beer and muffins at the Mill. You are correct about the bear being a reference to the Bear Gully Lake area (remember Glen Turner's castle?). The reason that area is so near and dear to my business partner, Andrew and me, is that back in the day it wasn't much more than woods and orange groves. Consequently, when high school kids wanted to go out in the woods, build a bonfire (Bonfire is the name of our newest bourbon - see a theme here?), drink beer and do all the other things we weren't supposed to be doing, we went where we knew we would be left alone at Bear Gully. Later, when we started producing our flagship bourbon, we decided to name it after the fond memories we have of Bear Gully. We hope that anyone who has ever enjoyed a beverage alongside a bonfire in the woods will equally enjoy sipping on our Bear Gully Bourbon!

I was in junior high here in Central Fl in '77 when it snowed. About 3-4 inches on the ground. Very surreal.

• Was like little salt flakes falling out of the sky down in Broward County.

Everybody ran out of class during school to see. Pretty amazing for a Florida Cracker to see.

• Yes. We had seen flurries from time to time but never anything that stuck. Smaug, you born and raised here as well?

• Yep.

Born in Coral Gables.

• edited December 2015

Thank you for choosing my suggestion! It came to me after doing some research on the Winter Park Distilling Company. Boy did that take me on a trip down memory lane.

One thing that is unique to Central Florida is the plethora of freshwater lakes. It's due to the karst geology of the region. I like to tell people where I grew up, you can't throw a rock in any direction without it landing in a lake. What's truely unique is that many of the lakes are connected together by canals, creating "chains of lakes." The Winter Park Chain of Lakes is certainly one of the most beautiful and most famous. An amazing oasis of Old South beauty meadering through an urban center. But that can be said about much of Winter Park too.

When it snowed in 1977 I lived in a carriage house apartment behind an old mansion on the north shore of Lake Virginia. There is a small stretch of road there between Fairbanks and Aloma called Osceola Ave. I lived at 688 and 1/2 Osceola Ave. You could hear the noisy peacocks on Genius Drive across the lake. I had a Correct Craft Ski Tique at the time and spent hours skiing on the Winter Park Chain every day. Wore a "shorty" wetsuit in the winter. The 1977 snow accumulated on the windshield of that boat. I wrote "Florida" in the snow on the windshield and took a picture of it. The apartment and mansion were torn down decades ago to make way for some butt-ugly townhouses. I cannot find that picture of the snow. I'm sure I've got it squirreled away in a box somewheres.

• I was born in Daytona Beach but grew up in Lakeland. Kapea, wonder why it was named that?

Smaug, there aren't many true Crackers here. Most are transplants, but you already knew that.

• edited December 2015

Yep. Even still, I am only a first generation. My folks are from South Carolina.

So by some standards I am only an honorary Cracker.

• edited December 2015

I think it was named after the famous beach racing racecar driver "Lightning" Daytona.

Ka-Ching!

• My dad's family is from Winter Haven. My dad was Air Force so I was born on an Air Force base in the high desert of California. There is no fucking way I claim CA.

• I actually meant Lakeland :))

Yep, Winter Haven is where I hang my hat now. Bet it has changed since your family was here.

Smaug, I'm just second gen from Florida. Before that we were from Sweden. Swedish Redneck I guess.

• DOH! ;)