StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Spirit Storage Vessels

2»

Comments

• edited November 2015

@Kapea said: Around here I've surfed in an 80F ocean while looking up at snow-topped mountains. Then jumped in my pickup and went snowboading on the mountain top, during the summer. 2 hour drive from sea level to 4200m.

We can tell when it's winter down here at sea level. We have to put an afghan on the bed at night. Got all the way down to 53F oncest!

FWIW, I store my low wines in 5 gallon cornelius kegs.

To Each his own and whatever you do in the privacy of your own home i say. So long as your are harming no wild afghans.

AfghanPolice.jpg
    800 x 531 - 57K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited November 2015

AfghanHound.jpg
    800 x 545 - 65K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited November 2015

I was looking for a pic like that. We had a dog that was heaps better looking when i was an under ten called Sam. he was a dumb bastard compared to the German Shepards we'd had before but pretty loveable all the same.
    Used to run away a lot, but i reckon he was just too stupid to find his way home.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited November 2015

Stamped 1988 CUB. Great storage vessel that will last for ever.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 99K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 95K
  • Has anyone every put a non-welded drain on a corny keg? Maybe like one from bargain fittings. That would be nice for putting low wines into the boiler instead of the massive splashing when dumping the corny.

• edited November 2015

We are finding it really easy to pump from the dip tube on the corny.

If you have air, you can push through, but we're using a peristaltic for spirits transfer so it's simple to just hook the hose up to the outlet fitting and pump. It leaves a few drops in, but nothing major.

Pouring anything out of a corny is just an absolute disaster.

• hmmmm... kegs with a big TC top and some TC side fittings... what a novel idea... if someone had a container or so of those made with TC's instead of the traditional fitting and spear, in china, they could had at about what a standard brewery keg costs, especially since the spear is the most expensive part of a chinese beer keg.

• Loud and clear....... :)]

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Used to be able to find cheap kegs easy, now all the homebrew guys scoop them up fast. Recently scored a keg for $35, did a jig to celebrate. Guys on Craigslist asking $100 for old beaters now.

• MQOs are high for new ones.

• @Smaug said: MQOs are high for new ones.

Yep, i looked into that before, no way i can justify a 40' container load when i sell a few a year.

• Teton seems to be doing 55 gal transfer tanks successfully. Don't know how much will fit in a 40' container but I think in the 1/2 - 1 barrel size there's definitively a demand...

• Yeah decent cost rolling drum with a bottom drain would be nice.

• 30gal for an 'open container' is a magic size in the US... for fire code reasons... I am not going to cut my nice thick walled 60 gallon down, though.

• They already manufacture strong 60L stainless drums with clamp lids, no need to reinvent the wheel. These must be bloody cheap? I have one that I use for storage.

Check those out @Smaug and @punkin

They are available in sizes from 30L-500L. They come reinforced just like a standard 55gal drum, you can get them even stronger if you need. I'd suggest you'd want to reinforce the lids to support a column but this could be managed with an internal fixed support running down to the base that sits inside the drum, no need for welding.

Stainless steel drum and barrel

In my area the 200L stainless drums sell for more than $1,000 each.
    I know they are selling in the Sydney market for around $400 each for the SS304 version.

stainless_barrel.jpg
    300 x 400 - 14K
  • In the US Jansen discount products has new and used stainless drums, barrels and milkcans

• edited November 2015

Stainless oilve oil drums boys. I posted the link before on this thread. 50litre $200 including 1/2in tap BSP thread with sealing lid, posted, They make them up to up to 100litres +They look like a milk can really good for flat bottom fermenters. I recon Punkin should be able to access their supplier and stock them with minimum of hastle.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 52K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 46K
  • Boy that is a good looking vessel.

• edited November 2015

I was just looking at the specs of the 100l one to see if it would fit in my ferment fridge. Perfect for 4 keg batches of beer

That damn glass shelf looks hairy rossco.

• daddad
    edited November 2015

I have a 100l version and it is beautiful. A might thin, but makes for a great ferment tank.

I wouldn't want to tote it around full!

Minox100L.jpg
    267 x 464 - 20K

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Hey grim, i have a spare corny keg i wanted to use but i was worried about the main rubber lid seal and the popet orings reacting with the alcohol. Have you done anything to combat this?

• FYI - I have 20+ of them, never had an issue, even with 190.. maybe the seals will age a bit sooner, but they are cheap..

• edited November 2015

You can get silicon ones, check eBay.

Oring Size Chart from Oringsandmore @ eBay

Copied from a brew forum, dunno what it will end up looking like in this formatting;

The size 'O' rings you need are:

ID       OD     Cross Section   Size#   Price
    Post       7/16"    5/8"   3/32"           111     $2.63 for 50  
    Dip Tube   5/16"    1/2"   3/32"           109     $2.53 for 50    
    Lid        3 1/2"   4"     1/4"            417     $3.98 for 2

• Nah, I never keep them tippy full, so liquid isn't really up against the seal.

If you are worried, you can probably find EPDM o-rings.

• edited November 2015

@punkin said: That damn glass shelf looks hairy rossco.

Not mine punkin, just a couple of random pics from the thread on AHB. I use 18gallon beer keg fermenters with open tops and a 64litre SS conical for beer. I think the 50litre has a welded seam on the bottom that is better for beer brewing. What I was thinking of was a 50 litre for oaking brandy with raw French Oak staves and saltana grapes.

• in the US, grainger (or ebay or whatever)

I still have about half of the 100-packs I bought in 2008

111 o-ring 1RGZ6 (Buna-N, black)

Price $5.12 / pkg. of 100

111 o-ring 1REK1 (silicone, RED, I use for gas post for easy identification)

Price $21.14 / pkg. of 100

for the dip tubes, I use the 'quattro' o-ring that has an x-shaped cross section.

O-Ring, Buna-N, AS568A-109, Quattro, PK 100 Item no: 1RHD4

Price $11.92 / pkg. of 100

• edited November 2015

Cheers for that, use them all the time. Cool colour idea. I would appreciate a couple of Aussie links if anyone has one so I don't gotta find it myself.

• Just ordered a two more corny from adventures in home brewing, 40 bucks each plus 10 bucks shipping