Bastardized UJSSM

Just ran my 7th generation of UJ and got some interesting results.; On this generation I added 5lbs of barley malt and 5lbs of cracked malted rye. I added these instead of the usual 5lbs or so of corn. Ran the still like a normal whiskey run; 4 plates, very little reflux, fores and heads removed and tossed, hearts and tails collected. So after 5 days of airing, I started making cuts and almost all of the tails that I collected were added back to the hearts. 5 of 6 jars were added back. The only jar that was tossed was the one that got cloudy and had the wet dog thing. I've never gone this deep into tails before but they were very tasty. Lotta grain flavor without the typical "tails" smell or taste. This taught me that any change to a tried and true should be closely evaluated during cuts and can have awesome results. Anyone else ever had this happen? I may find one, or very rarely two jars of the tails that I keep. This was a pleasant surprise but I'm sure it will take until June of 2019 to age out........

Tagged:

Comments

• I found the same with allgrain corn of low abv.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• This last batch was 8% which is a little lower than usual. Funny, but the dominating grain flavor is still corn. More so than what I normally get. Just a hint of the peppery twang of rye. Overall, I am really excited to see how this ages out. I ran it through the US unit at full strength and then again after cutting to 65%. Put about half on oak and left the rest white.