Beginner with Plated Systems

edited August 2015 in Usage

How can I run my 4 inch dragon with four plates to make a good whiskey loading the boiler with a 40% charge of low wines. I would like to see the heads come off in the high 80's low 90's and get the hearts to come in the 80's dropping down to 75 or so before hitting the tails. I would rather not collect in the 90s the whole Run. I'm a pot stiller that strips, and then runs through a pot with a thumper so the plated system is new to me. Ideas and comments are all welcome thank you in advance - clear

Comments

• there is a good tutorial at the top of the forum headings i think on how to run... a stilldragon plated column...

• I have read the manual just curious if anyone knows like 30 minutes full blast on the D flag or an hour on full blast on the d flag, maybe don't go full blast at all, just give it a little bit of water............

• From my understanding the scenario you have in mind would be accomplished with a small amoint of water to the reflux condensor during heads and none during hearts. You may want to pull one or two plates out too. The beauty of modular.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks @punkin I guess trail and error is the best method. now at least I have an idea of where to start.

• edited August 2015

Why spend the time stripping if you are running 4 plates?

• +1

Just go straight through the 4 plates. Works well and tastes awesome.

You can dial in the %ages with your power and deph. Trial and error...

• Very interesting point @grim may have to think about that. the reason I strip is I don't have time to watch the still on a spirit run very often. I have lil kids and they get my free time so that's why I strip. just turn it on and off, and when the time is right I can baby sit the still not the young guns

• edited August 2015

@popcorn I too use the time factor for stripping a few runs first fairly quickly, then a decent spirit run does take a while but you collect a lot of product.

I've changed my methods over the years trying to maximize time/effort/energy/taste to suit my whiskey washes and final product profile.

I have to say the real middle hearts during the strip run are the best tasting product up front, I always grab at least a jar to tuck away for later.

4 plates with stripped low wines can take a lot of taste away if you reflux too much, abv tends to stay at 90+% at times, 3 plates is better I've found personally.

But experiment with water flow either off or just a tiny amount during the hearts run will make a vast difference.

I now do the 1.5 method and have good results.

Strip, collect a few batches as normal. Spirit run combine the strip with normal wash from the ferment (un-stripped) and you get the profile, taste, smell and a decent volume from the run, and 3 or 4 plates can be used in this case with good results even if abv sneaks up a bit higher. I use roughly 50% strip + 50% wash.

Cheers

fadge