StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

How long will a beer keg still boiler last?

2»

Comments

• I've just dropped my keg off at a place to get the stainless ferrules welded on, a 2" to be fitted for the element and a 4" in the top opening, I'll fit the drain in the bottom myself once I get it back, I'll post some pics soon.

• It's the great reducer tree, Charlie Brown.

Lots of options there. I still want to see someone put an 8" SD on top of a keg. You could be the first.

• I saw a bunch of other people making keg boilers but they mostly just used the 2" sankey fitting with a 2" tri-clamp and a half gasket. How do they expect to ever clean the inside of the keg through that little 2" hole???? Then I saw some people put a 6" ferrule on top with a little ferrule on the side for a fill hole. then I thought about getting a SS pot lid somewhere and bolting it on with a piece of silicone gasket or some bullsh*t like that. In the end I think the best way is the big 8 inch ferrule, It leaves plenty of room so you can put your whole arm in there with a scrubby pad if you have to and at the same time you can just pore your mash right in there with a good bucket. Another thing, if I wanted to brew a batch of beer I could brew it and ferment it in the same keg. That 8" ferrule pretty much allows me to attach anything I want on top of there. My 3" rectifier column attaches with a 1.5" ferrule that's why I went from 8" to 3" to 1.5". I'm not saying that I would but I could hook up some configuration of that 8" crystal dragon if I wanted to but that would be like hunting rabbits with a Barret 50. caliber.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 47K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 53K
    3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 66K
  • Here are some photos of hand cutting the top 8" hole and the 1/2" side ball valve hole. The dome on the top wasn't quite right so I hade to use C clamps to make it fit right before I took it in for welding.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 50K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 57K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 39K
    4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 73K
    5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 53K
    6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    7.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K
    8.jpg
    600 x 800 - 62K
  • Mind you all this is before welding, I did it like this so I could get a lower price for the weld job.

• Looks really good I like the idea of the eight inch

• Yes, definitely the way to go, same as on out 50L Milk Can Boiler, I would not want to miss a nice large access hole even on small vessels.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• I also like the large openings. My baby dragon sits on a 5 gal milk can with an SD 8" ferrule.