Apple Juice Concentrate

edited June 2015 in Recipes

I can get about 200 gallons of Apple Juice concentrate.
Has anyone used concentrate before and any suggestions or recipes for it.
Just want to know if it is worth hauling home.

Comments

• There are some using the juice.

Helps them dial in the yield a bit easier. And also greatly reduces processing labor.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited June 2015

I know someone who makes a pretty decent vodka from apple juice - guess that would work with concentrate too?

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited June 2015

You'll probably need to work out the dilution based on whatever information you can get off the concentrate, or by measuring the brix directly.

Honestly though, dilute, add nutrients and yeast, maybe tweak the pH, and that's all you need. Keep it simple. I'm sure if the concentrate is good, the product will be fantastic. If the brandy/eau de vie isn't your style, pull it up to vodka levels like @sunshine mentioned.

I'd grab it in a heartbeat. Just make sure you can store it! Or you have room for 1000-2000 gallons to ferment.

• I tried cider before and only got a mediocre product out of it. Thinking it greatly depends on what the juice is from and at what quality. From what I understand, tart apples are the best for flavor (in the Calvados region, the apples are un-edible & drinkable and thus they started to distill them giving us some fine liquor...)

• I've made stuff from welches grape concentrate before. Super easy and was mighty tasty. Like grim said. Just dilute, add nutrient and yeast. Easy peasy nice and cheesy.

• I run an apple farm and make most of my liquor from apples. I wouldn't make cider out of concentrate since it usually is made from very sweet apple juice. You need bitter and unedible apples for really good cider as other have mentioned. But for high proof alcohol: No problem :)

Gardsbrenneriet AS, a small distillery located in Sandane, Norway

• Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just get 1 55 gallon drum for now and see how it goes.