French Oak No4 Blend

edited June 2015 in SD Europe

I've just used some French oak no 4 blend in some rum, only the slim rounded blocks would fit through the neck of my demijon, the square cut pieces didn't fit, my question is are all the blocks in this pack the same? or are the squared ones different to the slim ones?

demijon.jpg
600 x 800 - 60K

Comments

• Use a tomahawk to cut to size? It's what I like about the domino. Charred the same all the way through

• I got myself big mason jars for that.

With the staves through the bottle opening, I'm concerned about getting them out again...

• The blend is about 60/40, so you should add that proportion to your spirit. We use big jars like for fruits or cucumbers for it. This way we can use the wood pieces again, but the second time for BBQ

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Thanks @Sunshine That makes sense, in the 100gr pack there was about 40gr if the slim ones with rounded ends and 60gr of the thicker ones with the square edges, what are they? Is it french oak 1 and french oak 2?

• Frankly, our Oak source does not reveal all their secrets - so I cannot answer this question. I like this blend very much, that is what counts for me ;)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Surely it's not a secret, it's just two type of French oak, as the different oaks all have different shapes, according to the pictures anyway, I would guess at no1 40% and no2 60% You should ask them, I'm sure it's not that big a deal

• o.k. but please don't be dissapointed, if the manufacturer likes to keep their secrets. I will keep you updated...