Acorn Spirits

edited April 2015 in General

Anybody ever try distilling acorns? After the tannins have been removed obviously. I have a good amount of land with a lot of oak trees, and thought this may be nice to try. I know there is some Italian distilleries that do it. I was thinking of grinding them up into a sort of flour then using them in the mash with some enzymes or something.

Tagged:

Comments

• Sounds a little squirrelly to me... :D

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Yeah I know. I just found out that you could eat them. From what I've been reading if you prepare them right they are a great nut that isn't bitter at all. People make flour with them and all kinds of stuff.

• My biggest issue if its good will be fighting off our goats and llamas.

• edited April 2015

After spending a great deal of my life around oak trees and Spanish moss, I moved to where there are no oak trees. None. Nary a single one! Weird.
    I miss them a lot, even though oak pollen makes me very allergic every spring.

Never knew you could eat acorns though. I always went for the boiled peanuts...

• Not sure if you can make a spirit out of them... that would require them to have a significant sugar/starch content.

I've seen/had some nice hazelnut and walnut liqueurs - maybe that's the better route to go?

• edited April 2015

I guess if you can make wine from acorns then you can distill it.

Here's a recipe.

• My next question is why... the recipe is a sugar wash/bump.... and acorns are bitter or all i have ever been around are.

• after you leach them and roast them they are sweet apparently. I have a ton of oak trees and was thinking its something different to try. Was thinking of making a goat milk vodka as well.

• Sounds like a trip to the wild side to me.... :D

• @FullySilenced said: Sounds like a trip to the wild side to me.... :D

Yeah I know. There is a distillery in Vermont that makes vodka from cows milk that me and the wife are going to visit when I drive home from Maine. I'm just trying to use what I have on my property.

• edited April 2015

The price is right. Give it a go. Worst case - you'll be set with charcoal lighter for a while.