Moonshine Pens

So I've got a friend selling pens made from reclaimed wood from old moonshine stills busted by the ABC here in Franklin County.

Mason Woodworking - Home of the Franklin County Moonshine Pens

It is a small operation and I was wondering if I could post something about it here. In about a week I'll even be able to link with an article written in the Franklin News Post written by Morris Stevens about him making the pens.

mason_woodworking.jpg
800 x 600 - 101K

Comments

• So please, any feedback on what you guys think would be great. And if you know someone who might be interested pass along the link or share it on some social media. Soon Todd will be offering copies of Morris Stevens' book for Morris that give a great history of our local tradition. And if you know the name Clive Love, Todd may be getting some wood from some of Clive's old stills that he used to run, Clive is kin to Todd and is going to help Todd locate some of the old stills. Thanks for your time.

• I love em and would be happy to pass along the info.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Thank you very much, I know he will appreciate it.

• Would not mind having one myself. Nice work!

• Yeah, Todd does some amazing work with wood for it mainly being a hobby.

• Love the bolt action one. I suspect i couldn't afford it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited April 2015

Check his website. They are very reasonably priced even though they are hand turned and the wood isn't quite renewable. There are only so many old stills around here, people aren't making it as much as they used to and they aren't using as many submarine pots anymore. Several other woodworkers Todd knows said he was selling them too cheap.

• edited April 2015

very reasonable, i'd still love the pen without the still wood story though. Just found the kits, your friend is right, he's selling too cheap.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• It really isnt about the profits, its more about preserving the history

• edited April 2015

What caliber is the bolt-action one? Does it have a primer in the top? :D

Very nice writing instruments Todd! Got any made from old Bondurant Brothers' stills? ;)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I'd have to ask him what caliber exactly

• Heck I wanted 257 weatherby but could not find it in the check out section lol. Ordered the bolt action pen. DA:O

• Might get a couple more for x mas gifts. Wonder if hell make me one out of lignum vitae , I can supply the wood.

• They will make great and unique gifts. And he may do that. Just send him an email through his website and ask. He may be adding another section to the website offering other pens he has made separate from the shine pens.

• Thanks @wct1188 . I will email direct.

• Just had to have that bolt action one - at that price mad not to.

• Yeah, they are very well made, you'll love it.

• Saw a really nice steampunk version of the bolt action kit yesterday while researching, i may ask him to build me one.

Sounds like you've done his business a big favour, maybe he'll link back to our forum from his site on his contacts page in return.

• I'll definitely suggest that to him and then consult with the admins

• Correction: the news article will be written by Morris Stephenson and the old shiner is Cecil Love. Apologies