Which condenser do I need?

edited February 2015 in Usage

Hi all, I have been a T500 user for about 4 years and I'm now looking to put together a set of modular SD components, initially for a simple pot still but later with additions for neutral also. I will re-use the T500 boiler with power control and am thinking 2" is probably the right size for me. I've got a pretty good idea of the initial set of components I will need but cannot seem to discover whether I will need the short or longer product condenser, power input from the T500 will be 1850W max, if I later upgrade the boiler I cannot see myself going above 3Kw, thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• The regular PC will certainly take care of your needs for now but if you do upgrade to 3kW you'll probably wish you'd spent the extra few bucks for the long condenser.
    If you have access to plenty of cool water then the regular PC can handle 3kW, but just barely. If your water is warm in the summertime then I'd opt for the long PC. You'll save water with the more powerful PC and give you some room to grow.
    But if you plan to put a Baby Dragon on your T500 and later upgrade to a bigger still and boiler you may decide to sell your Ace as a complete unit and a regular PC is perfect for that size - its what I run.

Sorry for all the if's and then's but it is not clear of what your long term intentions are for your T500. Keep it? Sell it? Recycle parts into a bigger setup?

• Thanks Lloyd for the reply, you have provided exactly the info I was looking for. I am not sure myself what my future intentions are regarding the T500, the boiler is handy and easily provides enough product on a spirit run. It would be nice to be able to strip a 40Ltr wash in one go but upgrading to a 50Ltr milk can would be an expensive way to do it. It would be sensible to stick with the T500 boiler but since when has good sense had anything to do with it.

• edited February 2015

I recently had to make the same decision. Spending the extra $25 for the 2" x 20" "long product shotgun" condenser over the 2" x 8" "short product shotgun" condenser was not a problem. What the decision finally came down to was the elevation of the collection jar. That extra 12" put the collection jar too low, so I opted for the 8" product condenser. Turns out that it has plenty of knockdown power for what I am doing. YMMV.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @Kapea makes a good point, the product has to be collected and that setup elevation certainly needs to be factored in. Once you get the collection table setup with the assorted jars to match the spout of the parrot its damn hard to change.

Somehow table legs need to be modular, too!

• @Lloyd this is where a pre-condenser might be a useful option. Just a simple jacketed condenser with a 3" shell over a 2" tube.

Is there enough clearance on the face of the PC's to make them stackable? Its hard to see from the website but it looks like this might be difficult. If the faces of 2 PC's would touch, you would have to get the tube alignment spot on.

• I still like my idea form Oct 2013: