StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foaming

Has anybody had a problem with foaming to the point of blowing a heating element. I was wondering if those anti foaming agents would prevent this problem. The recipe was rye if that makes any difference.

Comments

• No mate. I have had some washes in the past that have foamed and puked through the system fairly badly. Mostly rum washes. I tried the vegie oil trick but it seemed to have little effect.

I sell a fair bit of simethicone anti foaming agent but i've never had any feedback on it, perhaps some of the users on here can comment?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2014

I highly recommend @punkin's anti-foaming agent for most runs. 4 ml is all you need for a 45L charge.
    I religiously use it for all stripping runs.

• This time I tried Ale yeast and this is the only time I have ever had a problem. I guess I will get some anti foaming stuff and give that a whirl. Thanks

• Please let us know how it goes.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• 99% of my washes I run are rum in a pot still and I run them as hard as I can I just use bits of copper in the bottom of the boiler. I fill the boiler to my 45lt mark never had any wash puke. 6 bits of copper.

• Simethicone works like a charm - but burning and burnt out elements? Rye is high in proteins and sticky beta glucans, both known to be a problem for elements.

• @Drunkas said: 99% of my washes I run are rum in a pot still and I run them as hard as I can I just use bits of copper in the bottom of the boiler. I fill the boiler to my 45lt mark never had any wash puke. 6 bits of copper.

Are you burning gas or electric?
    I thought boil chips were only used for a fired (wood, coal or gas) still but I could be wrong.

• I use gas at the moment but plan to change to electric very soon

• I regularly use fermcap (which I believe is the same thing that Punkin sells) both for brewing and stilling and the stuff works wonders. You can actually add it to a kettle that is actively foaming and it collapses in seconds. As for the element problems, are you using an ulwd elements (the wavy type) or something else? Wattage would be good info to have too.

• My stock isn't fermcap, but the active ingredient is shared by most of the brands. You can source nonsilicone solutions, someone named a particular brand on Artisan Distiller a few months ago, but i don't know that it's available here.

• I have had both 5500 and 4500 watt elements and none of them have been wavy.

• For all of the elements I have used for brewing and distilling, the 4500 straight are considered ultra low watt density, but the 5500 straight are just low watt density if they are a straight down and back style. For anything but preheating water for mash in, I only use the wavy 5500 watt elements.

The LWD elements can work, but they take a bit more attention until things are running.

• Thanks I will give one of these a go.

• Jung have you ever run rye AG wash?

• @beaberskinner said: Jung have you ever run rye AG wash?

Sorry on the slow response, I've been away from the board and the hobby for the last few months getting other projects done.

I've not yet run a rye, but I have a batch waiting to be stripped in the next week or so. Any particular reason you're curious on the rye?