StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

50L StillDragon Milk Can Vessel Minimum Fill Level

edited January 2023 in Usage

Hello!

I wonder if someone could help me with information about how much minimum liquid I need to put in a StillDragon 50L Milk Can vessel so that the lower heating element is covered?

Regards
//P

Comments

• Fill with water to cover the elements then add wash. Safe way to do it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thank you punkin, that's a good idea. What i wanted to know is how many inches is it between the 2" opening and the bottom of the vessel. :-?

• @Pat72 said: Thank you punkin, that's a good idea. What i wanted to know is how many inches is it between the 2" opening and the bottom of the vessel. :-?

The ones on my floor have 2" + or- from the floor to the bottom side of the ferrule.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited January 2023

You'd have to say which StillDragon you will be purchasing from as we have different models. Mine have two element ports.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• That would be ours, must be about the same as @Smaug's but can't tell for sure as we are not at the warehouse. Not sure what the info on how many inches gives, because it's more a visual effect, so just to fill the boiler with water till the element is covered, then add the wash sounds like a great plan. :-bd

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• @SDeurope said: That would be ours, must be about the same as Smaug's but can't tell for sure as we are not at the warehouse. Not sure what the info on how many inches gives, because it's more a visual effect, so just to fill the boiler with water till the element is covered, then add the wash sounds like a great plan. :-bd

Well, my plan is to do my striping runs in another still that has an agitator because I do mostly fruit ferment. It's with a gas burner and 35L. Then I want to do the spirit run in the milk can vessel low and slow, electric indoors. Based on how low the element are in the milk can vessel , I can calculate the volume of how much striping I need to do to fill it to a safe level.

• May be something to have a look yourself once you have the unit at hands ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Yah, entirely a non-issue.

What's your starting volume, what's your expected distillate volume? Subtract the two. You don't need any equipment in your possession to do the math. What's your calc?

If you want to obsess over it, using a measuring cup, pour the difference in. If you aren't good, increase your starting volume - either by adding more water, or by doing more stripping runs.

Realistically, 2 strips will likely be fine. 3 would be far better - only because you gain bigger time savings, and we've only got so much time on this planet.