Personalities: Brewers vs Distillers

Why is it that the personalities of brewers are way more friendly that most distillers that act like hermits? Seriously around these parts brewers are having non-stop parties, and distillers shun people. You can see it online also - very few distilling forums, tons of brewing ones. I get the legality of it being different but still - why????

Comments

• edited June 2022

All real distillers are brewers first and foremost.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I think its because the cost of getting into distilling is so high its only older and more sucessful people who can afford it. I saw a video once with Bill Owen from the ADI saying to a journalist at a trade show "Go up and talk to all of the distillers and the all have one thing in common. They all had sucessful careers before the got into distilling". Here where I live any one can get a brewing license in a couple of days with 2k in gear and they are in business. So it draws the younger type of entrepreneurial type of guys. Those young guys arent going to have 100k for some still gear and another 80k for a shed. Not when a professional here makes 1000 dollars a month, maybe.

• Brewery and winery information is readily available from many and all types of sources. Distilling information is not. There are many winemakers that are secretive and shun discussions as well, but not all. Usually it has to do with the price of what you sell and perceived value. The joke there is that not everyone has access to the same quality of grapes. In Brewing and distilling everyone has the same access to raw materials for the most part. What sets you apart is the wisdom and knowledge of how to use the same ingredients to best effect.

• @DeltaArtisan said: In Brewing and distilling everyone has the same access to raw materials for the most part. What sets you apart is the wisdom and knowledge of how to use the same ingredients to best effect.

That's a point of view I've not thought of before. Its a good way to think about it. Thanks!

• @singlemaltyitzer. I think that is actually a very good point. Although I would say there are enough distilling webboards out there with helpful people on it, like this one, but nothing like the Beer Community. Brews friend has 480,000 recipes in a searchable database. With distilling you have to piece together the pieces. As I would say too Distilling, and the type of product you like to make is a really personal thing. Here where I am, which is in Argentina, most of teh guys learning and the 4 guys that have small distilleries, only want to make single malt scotches. I love making Irish style whiskeys and I am going to focus on that. Although occoaisionally I will do some heavy smoke single malts.
    I think its a combination of money and age and desire to make something that is uniquely yours.

• The act of distillation is more serious!

Much rarer for a brewery to blow up.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• The legal aspect of home brewing is what allowed the current personality of brewer... much like computers and internet only being for geeks in the 70's/80's/90's, the same was true for home brewing beer... Legalization changed everything for they type of folks that became brewers... If It is legalized in the US, and I think it will. (My still identifies as a brew kettle!) every trendy neighborhood will have a half dozen nano-distilleries running under 100gal total product on site to stay out of high hazard territory... some will even make their own product and not buy other people's juice...

• edited June 2022

@CothermanDistilling said: ... some will even make their own product and not buy other people's juice...

Wut choo talkin bout Willis?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America