6" ProCap Plate Bowing

edited March 2022 in General

I recently stepped up to some 6" procap plates and after assembly the plates hump up in the center quite a bit, surely this isn't correct? My 4" stuff fit together really well and didn't warp at all, the caps with the 6" don't seem to fit the holes as well.

Comments

• Picture speaks volumes.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2022

@Getsmokin said: I recently stepped up to some 6" procap plates and after assembly the plates hump up in the center quite a bit, surely this isn't correct? My 4" stuff fit together really well and didn't warp at all, the caps with the 6" don't seem to fit the holes as well.

Welding the ferrules and the sight glass fittings can be a pretty hot weld. Sometimes the ferrules can acquire a bit of warp because of the heat.

If you wouldn't mind checking to see if the face of the flanges are on plane.

If they are not on plane I do apologize. We should have checked those before they went out. I'm assume the boys in the back just pulled it right off the shelf and packed it up without the QC.

As far as the holes go, were they tighter? If so I can't see how that affected the outcome beyond a bit more elbow grease to install?

Again I do apologize for any inconvenience.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited March 2022

@Smaug, the plate bows like the backside of a spoon with all the caps installed and snuggled down well (not in the column yet). If I back all caps off the plate flattens back out, but I'm afraid the nuts are going to back off over time. As far as the holes go, they are a little big or the caps shoulder is a little small. They don't center up very well (possibly part of the plate bowing), even not covering the entire plate hole.

• edited March 2022

Note to self. Dont put bubble cap plates on the ground. End note.

• I might be making all this up, since this is from memory.

Sounds like the teeth on the cap might be slightly long.

With the caps snugged really tight, that’s the geometry that would cause it. If the center bows upward at the top, it’s got to be that.

I don’t have a cap and plate in half to play.

• Please let me know what you find when you pull it apart.

I'll take care of it.

• edited March 2022

Does the downcomer cup fit well into the hole on the plate?

The cup should fit into the hole on the plate. It should push all the way to the "stop" on the cup. Doing so will center the cap onto to hole / opening on the plate.

Sometimes the holes can be a bit tight. We use a "potato" peeler, metal reamer when it's a bit tight to open the hole up a bit.

If that is the issue I can send you a reamer or simply replace everything for a d I'll be sure that the boys QC everything before it leaves the floor.

• edited March 2022

Ah sorry, wrong terminology.

A deburring tool.

A couple few spins around the hole shaves it down nicely.

Again, sorry for this inconvenience if this is the issue.

image.jpg
    800 x 131 - 12K

• edited March 2022

@grim said: Sounds like the teeth on the cap might be slightly long. With the caps snugged really tight, that’s the geometry that would cause it. If the center bows upward at the top, it’s got to be that.

I believe this is what is happening. Along with to much clearance between the cap downcomer and plate.

• edited March 2022

@Smaug said: Does the downcomer cup fit well into the hole on the plate?

The cup should fit into the hole on the plate. It should push all the way to the "stop" on the cup. Doing so will center the cap onto to hole / opening on the plate.

Sometimes the holes can be a bit tight. We use a "potato" peeler, metal reamer when it's a bit tight to open the hole up a bit.

I believe the holes are to big already (or the downcomer is undersized and there is a distance issue when the cap halves are pulled together).

From the bottom side of the plate you can see a gap between the downcomer and the plate. What are the dimensions supposed to be for each? I will measure and see which is off.

• edited March 2022

Shoot I dont have that committed to memory and am on my way to a trade show in Louisville.

Can one of the other SD team members help me out with those dimensions please?

• Ok made a pit stop at the office.

The holes in the plate should be (+ or -) 23.96 mm

The diameter on the DC cup should be (+ or -) 23 mm

The fitment before tightening is a bit loose on this batch, but does otherwise work just fine.

There is gap / space (perhaps 3 mm) from the bottom of the top assembly to the floor of the DC cup.

I think you have over tightened.

• edited March 2022

@Smaug said: Ok made a pit stop at the office. The holes in the plate should be (+ or -) 23.96 mm. The diameter on the DC cup should be (+ or -) 23 mm. The fitment before tightening is a bit loose on this batch, but does otherwise work just fine. There is gap / space (perhaps 3 mm) from the bottom of the top assembly to the floor of the DC cup. I think you have over tightened.

Plate holes 24mm, cap 22.9 (but not very round).

I guess close to your specs. I will try to get the caps better centered in the holes and call it good. I will say .040" clearance is an awful lot. Thanks for the assistance.

• @Getsmokin said: I guess close to your specs.. I will try to get the caps better centered in the holes and call it good. I will say .040" clearance is an awful lot. Thanks for the assistance.

Yes I wish it were a bit more snug.

I'm happy to replace them btw.

• edited March 2022

@Smaug, I will adjust them around and try to center them up to fill the holes better. I also back the off torque so the plate doesn't bow (I really thought I could tighten my 4" cap more). I will put them to use and let you know if there's any other issues. Thanks

• Ok thanks.

Please let me know.

• Sorry I am late to the show, plate warping is 100% over-torquing of the individual caps, BTW.

I had a friend help me assemble 24 8" plates, and all of his were bowed, but none of mine. I went to disassemble his to see what was going on, and he had tightened them at least 2x too much.. I just swapped them to the other side of the plate incase there was any residual warpage(I could not see any) and all was good...