If Vodka is the goal and you had 2.2m above the boiler, what'd you choose?

• 100L Milk Can
  • Up to 11kW
  • 2.2m above the boiler

Would you go with as many 4" short bubble sections as you could fit? Or 4 bubble sections and a packed section?

Comments

• Crystal Dragon has the shortest distance between plates, so maybe 2x 8-plate CD sections like @captainshooch has shown.

• edited February 2022

so you'd always go plates vs plates+packed section?

and the Crystal Dragon sections seem 7mm shorter than the dash extra short sections, is that 7mm saving worth the extra stability that the dash steel sections offer?

• I would, but I am not everyone... you can always take out a few plates and put in packing...

If 16 of the short dash sections fit the height of your space and the depth of your wallet, go for it...

• CD is 110mm v 155mm of the dash.

My self i would use a packed vapour management column if i only wanted vodka.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2022

dash extra short is 112mm: Bubble Section for 4" Dash SG Extra Short @ StillDragon Europe

when you say vapour management, do you mean a dehpleg atop a packed column only?

the one thing to consider is the eye candy factor as my location is next to a bar that has a window through to the distillery.

• For eye candy factor, nothing beats a 360 degree glass column.

Especially when it is running.

• @Homebrew said: For eye candy factor, nothing beats a 360 degree glass column.

Especially when it is running.

how's stability though with 16 plates?

• no different than a dash, there is a 16-plate 4" on here if you search, and I have a 30-plate 8" myself... here is the YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=418ASPZDR2A

• edited February 2022

@needmorstuff said: how's stability though with 16 plates?

Not sure. I have a total of 8 plates.

Though mine are 2 x 4 plates.

That is what I prefer, i.e. more modular, instead of one large section.

Easier to disassemble and re-assemble, clean, etc.

That said though, if the column is modular it will be taller and you are restricted for roof height.

• edited February 2022

Man, that video was 8 years ago, nuts. It was epic at the time.

• @grim said: Man, that video was 8 years ago, nuts. It was epic at the time.

still is man!

• edited February 2022

@Homebrew said: Not sure. I have a total of 8 plates.

Though mine are 2 x 4 plates.

That is what I prefer, i.e. more modular, instead of one large section.

Easier to disassemble and re-assemble, clean, etc.

That said though, if the column is modular it will be taller and you are restricted for roof height.

this'd be my preferred option..

• @punkin said: My self i would use a packed vapour management column if i only wanted vodka.

This, every time.

It's like going from a manual car to an automatic, it does neutral better than anything I've run in the past. Set the desired ABV and forget, when it gets to the end of the run, it just sits there in full reflux.

• edited February 2022

@TheMechWarrior said: It's like going from a manual car to an automatic, it does neutral better than anything I've run in the past. Set the desired ABV and forget, when it gets to the end of the run, it just sits there in full reflux.

Honestly I've never run one. I did run a ccvm in the past and that worked great. With a vm what's the takeoff rate like? Slow fast? In comparison to a CM?

This is for a commercial vodka if that makes a difference.

And how would one go about building that using SD parts? From experience a dephleg open to the atmosphere doesn't have enough juice to stop vapour... It'd have to be something like a triple wound Graham or something

• edited March 2022

2" is about 1.2l/hr. 3" goes up to 4l/hr or so. A proper wound coil is best and they are not that hard to make. Even i used to manage, that's how i started selling stills with VM packages. They are a pretty handsome unit too, although not as flash as a Dash.

3inchvmoperating2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 70K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• So. That's the setup I had.in the past with 1m of SPP packing. I got.confused.

When I ran it, I always just had.the valve wide.open for vodka. The spp must've not let much less than that through.

But as.yoy said, not as flash as a dash, and for my location flash wins.

• 1m won't get you 96%. Fully open valve won't either.

So flash beats quality? Ok.

• @punkin said: 1m won't get you 96%. Fully open valve won't either.

So flash beats quality? Ok.

I have 2m now.

No flash doesn't win regardless, but if flash can get quality then that is desirable because the still will be visible and the public like flash over steam punk

• Not everyone's 96% is actually 96%... I did not realize this myself until I spent money on NIST calibrated hydrometers and thermometer...

Also, there is Neutral and there is 96%, they are not always the same. Do you want tasteless or do you want flavor... I get flavor at 95-96% with 30 plates..

• @CothermanDistilling said: Not everyone's 96% is actually 96%... I did not realize this myself until I spent money on NIST calibrated hydrometers and thermometer...

Also, there is Neutral and there is 96%, they are not always the same. Do you want tasteless or do you want flavor... I get flavor at 95-96% with 30 plates..

I have calibrated hydrometers and thermometers. Most definitely want flavour, I am not obsessed with 96%.

• 30 plates makes a delightful Platino rum,,or, I mean vodka lol.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Is it even possible to get a sugar base neutral?

• @needmorstuff said: Most definitely want flavour, I am not obsessed with 96%.

I stand by my original recommendation of 2x 8-plate Crystal Dragon sections.

• @CothermanDistilling said: I stand by my original recommendation of 2x 8-plate Crystal Dragon sections.

Thank you.

• @grim said: Is it even possible to get a sugar base neutral?

I did read it's one of the hardest to get neutral from, with unmalted wheat being one of the easiest.

• Hahahaha try molasses.

• I mean, look at the bright side, the worst that you end up with is a wonderful light rum.

• what do you all think of using LM and 16 CD plates?

the benefits of LM are touted as being more controllable due to condensing all vapour and not being at the mercy of cooling flow, control, temp, interruptions (toilet flushing or other water being drawn)

• edited March 2022

@needmorstuff said: what do you all think of using LM and 16 CD plates?

the benefits of LM are touted as being more controllable due to condensing all vapour and not being at the mercy of cooling flow, control, temp, interruptions (toilet flushing or other water being drawn)

It'll work.

Will you use what has become the conventional (dephlegmator) reflux condenser? If so, it'll need to have plentyplenty of knockdown.

Can make a heads cut CM style, then collect product from a plate draw.

How will you engineer the product draw on the CrystalDragon?

Also, since you'll be pulling product off as a liquid you'll need to ensure adequate dwell time in your product condenser unless you're collecting at a snail's pace. Graham or crossflow would be the best candidates.

Edit: collection of heads via CM style is just an option. OPINION: Allowing heads to vent off as vapor will provide a more precise way to bleed heads if that is a matter of importance to you. But you'll need an RC with precision control.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug said: How will you engineer the product draw on the CrystalDragon? Top of the dragon into a 180 and then buy an LM unit of someone like DR Gradus, is one idea.

I have found that a normal dephleg (or even a long product condensor used for the purpose) does not have enough surface area to condense. A coil of some description would be needed.

However, am I overthinking it? - I just found a solution to coolant flow issues on another forum when someone else suggested a plated LM setup

My pressure reducer was around 5$ and sorted the pressure fluctuation issues. Considering the amount of R&D and engineering that has been put into plated columns over the years why try to reinvent the wheel? They work very well, are very consistent, already achieve full reflux simply. What do you think there is to gain? Not knocking you mate but I don't see much of a benefit and potentially more problems than it's worth.