StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Louching & Filtering

2»

Comments

• edited June 2014

That tds meter is factory calibrated,.personally I would get a meter that could be calibrated. 0ppm calibration solution can be found in hydro shops and pet shops But I'm sure that one would be fine.

What it is going to tell you is, is it the water youre using causing the problem or its going to tell you it's not your water. It could be the demineralized water you are buying isn't as demineralized as you think.

Distilled water is totally devoid of solids and minerals it's impossible for a mineral to turn to vapour and then reform so you can discount any minerals from your ferments carrying over. However things like VOC's I and pesticides that can turn into vapour will carry over. Not sure if that will produce snotty looking blobs in your product though.

• Could be some funky bacteria surviving distillation and/or sitting in barrels of lower proof alcohol which is totally possible.

• Nothing will live in 65% abv

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Law_Of_Ohms said: i'm still alive!

Well thats only because you have a mask and snorkle. You are cheating.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• White cotton felt works for corn oil, for AG corn I tuck it into the top of the collection jar. Houston tap water through a carbon icemaker filter. Takes the fine carbon out after wood aging as well.

• edited February 2022

@Moonshine said: Grip started a discussion about louching, which better belongs in here. Louching & Filtering, something that can hit every distiller if a clear distillate is the desired product.

Hey guys,

I am relatively new to this forum. I am a young distiller from Austria.

I have a question regarding gin filtering. I want to filter my gin before bottling. (We have a filter in our bottling line). I am using a cartridge filter and wanted to ask how small I can go before flavour and aroma starts to change noticeable. I used a 0,2 micron which was too fine. Should I go with 1 micron ? Or 0,45 micron?

Anyone has any suggestions? I don't have a really good feel for how small I can go.

Cheers and thanks

• Interesting for me. I recently distilled a gin and placed in addition to others a ratio of 8g/L of orange peel in the vapour path. The result was a heavy louching from the orange peel oils. 2 weeks post this distillation, one of my two distilled gin bottles that had previously louched was now clear and the second is not far behind becoming clearer every day. Even shaking the bottle up did not have any effect, still clear.

• 8g/L - holy cow... I use about .003g/L of sweet and .008g/L of bitter... if I double either, the presence is too strong for gin...

• I was going to say that but Richard doesnt respond well to my comments. I used .5g/l lemon peel once and it was super lemon. There was no balance.

• @DonMateo said: I was going to say that but Richard doesnt respond well to my comments. I used .5g/l lemon peel once and it was super lemon. There was no balance.

Hi. No nothing like that and yes I know it was extremely high. I was experimenting for an all in very forward orange flavour. I have another way of doing it where I can achieve way beyond and with successful results. As I say experimenting but my comment prior was more about the clearing of louching over a period of time. This was for me interesting.

Just for info though, up to 3 g/L (diluted spirit in the still) of orange peel is okay without louching. Beyond this is where the issue is encountered.

• Put it in the freezer and see what happens

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The micron rating of your filter is irrelevant to the flavor and oil molecules we're talking about here.

0.1 micron will not have a perceptible impact to flavor or color, it can't, the molecules we are talking about are orders of magnitude smaller.

The caveat is, if you are using a filter cartridge that does have a polar charge, or is made of something like cellulose, you may start to capture some of the semi-soluble oils and terpenes that louche. In this scenario, the micron rating is not really relevant, as it's the media that's having an impact.