Twin Thumpers in Parallel

I'm still very new to this but in the process of taking the passion past the hobbyist aspect.

I want to produce a full flavored rum in a pretty traditional way. I was looking to build a still where there are two thumpers coming off the pot still in parallel.

Has anyone ever tried this and what were your results?

Comments

• Yes this type of arrangement is an SOP for heavy Jamaican rums.

It is quite common. However it can be considered somewhat antiquated technology as the lust for faster production / higher yields seem to have become the norm.

Plummer / Wedderburn type aromatic rums are a process that takes time to cultivate and the ministry of finance often gets in the way.

But then distilling for profit has always been about economy of scale.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited November 2021

Here is our basic diagram.

Rum Maker.jpg
    800 x 645 - 53K

• edited November 2021

And here is our initial iteration.

image.jpg
    600 x 600 - 32K

• edited November 2021

Some Plummer & Wedderburn background: Unraveling Plummer and Wedderburn Rums @ Cocktail Wonk

• Parallel? Two thumpers in parallel would likely operate as a thumper of larger volume with some additional problems.

The issue is, if there is any imbalance in the system: differences in vapor path restrictions or a difference in liquid level, the vapor flow will favor the single thumper that presents lower overall back pressure. You'd likely need some sort of bridge pipe between the two thumpers to ensure liquid level stays consistent between the two.

I don't know what you gain with this approach.

Two thumpers in serial (back to back) - is an entirely different thing (as Smaug mentions).

• edited December 2021

This is what one of our customers did with some SD parts, but as grim said it was in series....

12inchstillalchemy.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• thank you very much for that. yup i understand the imbalance but there would be a too and fro between the levels along the run. hence the lower would IM still very new to this but in the process of taking the passion past the hobbyist aspect.

i want to produce a full flavored rum in a pretty traditional way. i was looking to build a still where there are two thumpers coming off the pot still in parallel.

has anyone ever tried this and what were your results? take most of the flow and then as it fills up it should balance. i guess setting them equal as much as possible in the beginning would minimize this.

ps i really do think the SD stills are works of art. i can only pray to the minister of finance to approve one. maybe when i upgrade after this self build.

• They would boil at different temps due to the difference in ABV. You would have to account for the pressure and temperature differential to get them to produce at the same time. Could you do it? Yes. But it would take some serious effort to get them to produce at the same time and merge in the condenser. It would require monitoring and changing how much vapor goes to each one to keep going symmetrically.

I get the idea (sort of). It would be similar in effect to a three chamber still but you would only be using vapor. It probably would be more efficient than a three chamber still. In this case I would suggest running 2 boilers not two thumpers. The boilers would be easier to control. I also would put the vapor together before the condenser to give the two streams more time to combine and make the magic happen.

• edited December 2021

I did misunderstand your original post.

And now I fail to understand your goal on this. Two thumpers in parallel in hope of achieving what?

From a processing speed perspective this tact would not produce any faster as it is the heat input to the (single) primary kettle that will determine how much vapor is produced.

Heavy rum production wise, I can not imagine alternating pressure from one retort to the next will enhance the quality of the spirit. The alternating pressure might allow the retorts to run much deeper liquid beds without behaving as violently? But again I'm having a hard time trying to imagine any real benefit.

Rusty Figgins had/has a double kettle to single column set up that we built for him. That one ended up being an underwhelming performer.

If the minister of finance turns away, knock something up and report your findings please.

• edited December 2021

@SingleMaltYinzer said: They would boil at different temps due to the difference in ABV. You would have to account for the pressure and temperature differential to get them to produce at the same time. Could you do it? Yes. But it would take some serious effort to get them to produce at the same time and merge in the condenser. It would require monitoring and changing how much vapor goes to each one to keep going symmetrically.

I get the idea (sort of). It would be similar in effect to a three chamber still but you would only be using vapor. It probably would be more efficient than a three chamber still. In this case I would suggest running 2 boilers not two thumpers. The boilers would be easier to control. I also would put the vapor together before the condenser to give the two streams more time to combine and make the magic happen.

A manifold joining each thumper at the lowest point would ensure a more uniform liquid level. Otherwise boiling point differential would be wonky as shit as you elude.

• Also, as a general rule, retorts are intended to boost proof. Parallel alignment rather than in series will greatly reduce the system's ability to boost/maintain proof for the duration of the run.

• edited December 2021

From your ADI comment:

I'm wondering what the flavour difference would be as each low/high wines will impart different flavours and then be smashed together in the condenser.

I like your thinking and curiosity, but this isn't how it works.

Combining the vapor streams prior to the condenser really isn't going to create the kind of environment you are thinking of, that fosters chemical reactions like esterification.

Sure, they may impart different flavors, and those flavors will make their way into the condensate, but if you are thinking that this could foster the kind of chemical reactions that we see in the double retort, it really won't.

The way I look at your example, if you put strawberry in one thumper, and rhubarb in the other, you'll get strawberry rhubarb out, no different than if you put them both in one thumper, or did two distillations back to back and just mixed them.

There is magic in the serial connection of the thumpers, and what they are loaded with, that fosters esterification in a way that's just not possible with a pot or column still, and that's because you are mixing together components of a distillation in a way that doesn't normally happen in a batch distillation.