StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Hornindal Kveik

Anyone here have any experience with this yeast? A lot of positive feedback from the beer guys and a little from the distilling crowd. Seems to have a high ferment range with little of the negatives associated with high temp ferments. I'm going to try it first with rum then with an AG.

Comments

• Jonny VerPlanck reckons it is not the holy grail.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I have played with a few different strains of kviek yeast in beer. Each gave their own unique flavour profile to the same wort. Some were neutral and some were belgian beer estery. I am currently using one strain to replicate a warm fermenting version of pilsner lager that is working amazingly well at replicating the traditional lager flavour profile, while still fermenting at 68 plus degrees Fahrenheit. Currently making a 15 barrel commercial batch of this experiment. I will see if we can get a keg and distil it to see how it comes out. My buddies and I like hopped whiskey.

• As a hot fast fermenter for neutral, probably very interesting.

I didn't care for either Voss or Hornindal in rum.

• @grim said: As a hot fast fermenter for neutral, probably very interesting.

I didn't care for either Voss or Hornindal in rum.

Do you remember what you disliked?

• edited August 2021

Comment from the Kviek Rum discussion:

@grim said: Way too neutral (in a bad way), one note, thin, odd ester profile, obliterates molasses character.

Cut it all wide, threw it in 53s, stacked em in the back in hopes I forget about them. There is something to the profile that I think will age out nicely, but let’s see in a decade.

Hornindal maybe slightly nicer than Voss, but barely. Both are far more interesting with grain.

Voss would be great for neutral sugar runs I think. Balls out ferment at 100F and finish in 2 days.

Smaug - I let the second half of this Voss run sit in the fermenter on Lees for 2 weeks in hopes it pushed chocolate. Zero chocolate.

• I'll go dig out the barrel to taste it, it's about 6 months on oak now.

• @grim said: I'll go dig out the barrel to taste it, it's about 6 months on oak now.

Thanks. I'll skip the rum attempt and use it on an AG

• @grim how did the barrel taste?

• kviek = meh

The beer crowd is very much into the latest new old thing.

• @grim did you ever get around to trying the Imperial A38 Juice yeast on rum?

I'm mid way through playing with some rum and have been using distilamax RM but seeing this thread made me think if maybe I should try the Juice option?

• @jbierling thank yo for that. I just pitched some last night and will see how it goes. Threw in the yeast cake from a stout beer as nutrients but I'm sure the mixture of bugs should be fun. Only the "tippy tongue taste test" left to decide now