Gin Strength

Hi guys,

First post here but have been following for some time. Been working on a gin recipe for a number of months now, feel like I have the flavours refined to what I want, I have confidence on my run and cuts (minor) I’m making.

However, why is that 1 gin and tonic feels like 3 and 3 feels like 10? Bare in mind I am diluting what I have and drinking it fairly soon.

Would this be an issue of the alcohol not properly marrying with the water in a short space of time? Seems to happen each time. Or would it be a high sulphur content at the start of the run getting in? Anybody else had this issue?

Testing recipes in a small alembic still, 1L charge.

Thanks,
Sam

Comments

• I let it sit for a month in bulk then a week in the bottle if I can. It stabilizes the flavor. For what you're doing maybe do a solera type of setup, Build up a bunch then once built up replace what you take.

• @SingleMaltYinzer said: I let it sit for a month in bulk then a week in the bottle if I can. It stabilizes the flavor. For what you're doing maybe do a solera type of setup, Build up a bunch then once built up replace what you take.

Would this make it feel stronger to drink but? I’m diluting to 45%, i feel there’s more flavours at that, maybe i’ll change it up and go down to 41/42%.

• edited March 2021

Dilute down to 40 and you will notice more of the lighter flavors and get more aromas.