StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Any Interest In Structured Copper Mesh Packing in the Land Of Oz?

I have a lead on some structured packing that will be similar in quality to the Amphora society mesh and better quality than the mesh i used to stock a few years ago.

Moq is quite large so I'd like to gauge the interest in it before i commit.

Let me know if it's something you'd buy in Australia, but I'm sure that @SDeurope and @Smaug would also like to know the interest in Europe and the US?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Comments

• I might be tempted to swap out the scrubbers in my long packed section

• Yep count me in. Will be much easier to rinse after pickling...

Alternatively can you get spools of raw copper wire? I can knock up a SPP rig pretty easy - give me a shout.

• What diameter and what length spools? I'll find out for you. What sort of quantities would you be after say every 6 months?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• It’d be between 0.6 and 0.8mm. I’m setting up to trial some 316 soon which will be much harder to form so a good test.

I’ll send you a mail when all set.

• I love that stuff but I am not in Oz. I put it in a filter section under my copper helmet and it scrubs the nasties and always comes out gunky and nasty when I do a stripdown. Well worth it.

• edited February 2021

@pez said: I can knock up a SPP rig pretty easy - give me a shout.

Would you look at different sizes eg for 2", 4" & 8" columns?

• Yeah that’d be not too hard, I’ve been reading on different profiles and size ratios. Wire size is more selected by availability and so it doesn’t get crushed with a full column. Would also need a good open filter disc.

I’ve only got a 2in column so could only test on that size.

Most references suggest a length equal to the diameter, and a good progressive wrap. I’ve also seen triangles and squares done, but a rectangle also intrigued me for the spiral. I’d be happy to test other people’s theories too. Diameter would be ~10% of column diameter which seems a popular starting point.

I am fortunate to have the gear required, just got to make the time.

• edited March 2021

As you go down in column diameter obviously so does the helical coil diameter and its wire. The smallest that we do is OD7mm x 7mm tall and 0.7mm wire diameter.

Even with a silly stacked height say 10m, you will not collapse / crush this packing as is the case with that Polish SPP.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 79K
  • edited May 2021

Did you end up getting the mesh @punkin? ....could have a sale for you.

• I will be ordering it mate over the next few weeks, but it will be a month or two coming.

• Thanks mate will pass that on to interested persons.

• @pez did you get around to making any spp? @punkin how's the structured packing coming along?

• It's ordered and will be here with my next parts order in 6-8 weeks.

• Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for it.