StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Kviek Rum

edited February 2021 in Distillers Pub

Kviek does not make good rum, this is all.

Tagged:

Comments

• Both Voss and Hornindal.

• edited February 2021

Way too neutral (in a bad way), one note, thin, odd ester profile, obliterates molasses character.

Cut it all wide, threw it in 53s, stacked em in the back in hopes I forget about them. There is something to the profile that I think will age out nicely, but let’s see in a decade.

Hornindal maybe slightly nicer than Voss, but barely. Both are far more interesting with grain.

Voss would be great for neutral sugar runs I think. Balls out ferment at 100F and finish in 2 days.

@Smaug - I let the second half of this Voss run sit in the fermenter on Lees for 2 weeks in hopes it pushed chocolate. Zero chocolate.

• edited February 2021

RM / 493 EDV is still king of rum in my book.

• How old is what you're tasting? I've been following your adventures with this. I figured with the ester production in kviek it would be really good.

• edited February 2021

@grim said: Smaug - I let the second half of this Voss run sit in the fermenter on Lees for 2 weeks in hopes it pushed chocolate. Zero chocolate.

Yeah JVP said it was most definitely not the holy grail on multiple levels.
    Thanks for the follow up.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Interesting. I thought the hornindal would have produced some nice fruit esters.

I've made some great rum using SR. keen to try CN & C-70. Has anyone tried them?

• Me too, that's why I tried. Voss was a flyer, as a result of Lallemand generously offering the yeast as part of the COVID program they did, so I decided to give it a second go.

• Liking the idea of neutral sugar with kviek. Makes sense and I’m too lazy to mash all grain to “sacrifice” it for a neutral.

That’s going on my next things to try...

• Well this has ruined my day, I was really hoping for something great with a Kviek rum...

Thanks for the hard work and saving us the effort.