StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Comments

• Assuming you'll have it forever now?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited January 2021

Results of the study are interesting - nearly all participants preferred the lacto soured malt new make over the control.

• interested to hear how it goes for you

• Sounds like a quick way to a sour. Really keen to hear your feedback.

• edited January 2021

In the text book Whisky by Inge and Russel, there is a chapter on infections and what infections affect different flavor and they quote a study by students studying whiskey making, and the tested the flavors produced by the various common infections. And what they found was that Lacto baccilus produce favorable flavors in the first 24 to 36 hours of an infection. After that it can became too sour. This was for the production of Scotch whisky by the way. When I am making a whiskey if I get a lacto on day 4 for example I used to run it straight away but now I will let it go for 24 hours and then run it straight away. When I make a charter whiskey or bourbon I will do a lazy mash method, and when the wash is finally finished fermenting it will turn lacto, when that happens I give it 48 hours and run it. I have explained to a few beer makers that Lactos are your friend when making whiskey and it caves their head in. If someone wants I will scan the page and post it. But even with malt whisky lacto is good.

• We purposefully infect all kinds of fermentation.

Lactobacillus Brevis is my go-to, but those are liquid cultures.

This one is interesting because it’s dry. It’s expensive as all hell though - $140 for a batch for my usual batch size.

• edited January 2021

You need a flow hood.

flowhood.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited January 2021

Sorry about the scan but the info is in there. That book Whisky is a great source of knowledge. I read this when a wash was turning white with a lacto then I went back and didnt worry about it ever again. For the attention span challenged the last two pages are the best.

Fermentation Contaminants (PDF)

pdf
    pdf
    Fermentation contaminants.pdf
    2M