Hi there, from Tumbledown Distillery in the Falkland Islands.

edited April 2018 in Introduction

Hi to one and all,

last march I retired, November of last year fulfilled a dream..
Set up the first commercial distillery, albeit a very mini/micro operation here in my country - the Falkland Islands.
Producing the first ever(that I can find) single malt whisky in my country.

Tumbledown Distillery | Falklands Whisky

Falklands Whisky @ Facebook

For my whisky, I use barley imported from the UK, the yeast from France, and the water, good peaty water straight of the slopes of Mount Tumbledown.

My still, is a 100 litre off the shelf reflux job.

Am I the most southerly distillery in the world?

Anyway, best wishes to all you fellow enthusiasts wherever you are.
Kindest regards from the best little country in the world
The Falkland Islands.
South Atlantic Ocean.

Cheers..!

Comments

• Just had a look at the maps .... did not realise that Falklands was so much further south than South Africa.

• You have got to be close. There is an Aussie couple who have set up in Puerto Natales in the very south of Chile. I think they are at 51deg 42 " south. You are a couple of seconds lower. I am setting up in Mendoza Argentina which probably means I cant send you any product, and visiting might be difficult but good luck. Making an Islay style whisky in a remote island could be a good thing.

• Welcome.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I'm quite sure I've not seen Fachine on a botanicals list before...and yes, your well south!

• Hey Taff, Nice website. My Argentine wife said you should have a Spanish version of your website with a label called Malvinas Whisky. I said if Argentina wants the malvinas so badly they should try and get it again. If you guys didnt have any oil and gas the Argentines wouldnt want it so badly.

I was once driving with my wife and my mother in law past the Argentine airforce base in Mendoza. My mother in law pointed to a Mirage fighter on a post and said look this was one of the fighters that was involved in the Malvinas war. I said what so this is one of the very few that the British didnt manage to shoot out of the sky. Cant be too many more like that. Suffice to say I wasnt the favourite son in law for a few days.

Anyway good luck Taff. If I ever get to the Falklands I will stop in for a dram. The falklands are for the Kelpers and the Argentines can go and stick it with the sun doesnt shine.

• To one and all,

My apologies or being so silent. This was due to circumstances.

NOT IMPRISONMENT..!

Anyway, thank you for all your kind comments - so very much appreciated.

Situation report - I had been given notice to vacate premises I'd been renting in May 2019 - so since that time I'd been out of commercial production - but producing for my self and a few sect friends only. Anyway, I had planned to erect a building purposely for the distillery, but Covid short circuited plans for the expansion. Now after delays - work is planned for the works on the building to be started in January 2021.

Watch this space as the saying goes..

Best wishes to one and all

Taff

• @richard said: Just had a look at the maps .... did not realise that Falklands was so much further south than South Africa. And considerably cooler and probably windier as well.

In fact I find the wind gusts are noticeable when distilling.

Impossible working outside here.

Cheers

• edited December 2020

@DonMateo said: You have got to be close. There is an Aussie couple who have set up in Puerto Natales in the very south of Chile. I think they are at 51deg 42 " south. You are a couple of seconds lower. I am setting up in Mendoza Argentina which probably means I cant send you any product, and visiting might be difficult but good luck. Making an Islay style whisky in a remote island could be a good thing.

Yes indeed we are 51°42'0"S, 57°51'0"W.

Puerto Natales according to Google is 51.7309° S, 72.4977° W

Am trying to get my own style of whisky..

Best wishes

• @Elvis said: I'm quite sure I've not seen Fachine on a botanicals list before...and yes, your well south!

Yes indeed, tis not your normal tasting gin - some say it is an acquired taste.

I will try any botanical, I love experimenting..

Cheers

• @DonMateo said: Hey Taff, Nice website. My Argentine wife said you should have a Spanish version of your website with a label called Malvinas Whisky. I said if Argentina wants the malvinas so badly they should try and get it again. If you guys didnt have any oil and gas the Argentines wouldnt want it so badly.

I was once driving with my wife and my mother in law past the Argentine airforce base in Mendoza. My mother in law pointed to a Mirage fighter on a post and said look this was one of the fighters that was involved in the Malvinas war. I said what so this is one of the very few that the British didnt manage to shoot out of the sky. Cant be too many more like that. Suffice to say I wasnt the favourite son in law for a few days.

Anyway good luck Taff. If I ever get to the Falklands I will stop in for a dram. The falklands are for the Kelpers and the Argentines can go and stick it with the sun doesnt shine.

Hi there,

malvinas to us is highly derogatory and insulting - to have that on a label or on our websites will never happen.

And if you can get to the Falklands - do pop in and have a taster - you and everybody else be most welcome.

Cheers

Taff

• edited December 2020

Hey @Taff. Your probably going to hate this idea but I know you can get Juniper Berries from Patagonia. I was thinking about the malvinas the other day and surely there there is a lot of peat?? The reason why I ask is its impossible to get peated barley here. Now the brutal logistics of getting peat from the Falklands to Argentina would be next to impossible. IN about 3 years I am going to set up a distillery in Uruguay and then I would love to be able to import peat and the best location would actually be from the Falklands. The Argentines would go spastic about it.
    Lets keep in touch mate. I will PM you.

• Hi there

Received your pm and working on a response.