StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Slow Forum

Not much seems to happen here anymore. Maybe it's all been said.

Comments

• edited November 2020

Yep, but others e.g. ADI appear to be slower, in fact deathly since one of their major contributors dumped them.

• edited November 2020

Pretty much everything has already been discussed at one point, our forum presents a huge archive on resources and a lifetime of reading.

With the Coronavirus pandemic going hot, people likely have other things to do and on their mind.

We have a steady increase in forum members, but obviously the majority is here for reading instead of posting.

Nothing to worry about, we are here to stay! ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I am trying to add to the knowledge base on alternative woods. This forum definitely is an excellent resource.

• edited November 2020

Lots of work at the distillery, lots of work everywhere, covid making nothing easier for anyone.

Firing up new mash equipment in a few days. We moved to hot water reclamation - we added a 2,000 gallon hot liquor tank. This will allow us to mash 1,500 gallons a day and not waste water or energy.

• "Major"? lol. Likely not as major as he thinks.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I'm Brian, and so is my wife.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited November 2020

Labeled 600 bottles with the wrong label the other day, that sucked.

• Happy turkey day to the US members.

15 years in the states and I’ll be roasting my first turkey this year (so far this was always done by the in-laws)

• @grim said: Labeled 600 bottles with the wrong label the other day, that sucked.

Wrong label as in wrong product? Or wrong label as in you should have tossed that batch of labels with the typo weeks ago?

@Unsensibel said: Happy turkey day to the US members.

15 years in the states and I’ll be roasting my first turkey this year (so far this was always done by the in-laws)

Steak and lobster here. Sweet potatoes and alcohol will be the only thing that looks like Turkey day here.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug said: Steak and lobster here

3:-O

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• 375ml on the 750ml - labels identical otherwise

• I've found most US forums other than HD have slowed down a lot. I think the Moonshiner's craze has died down. Maybe on the pro side people are closing down. Or they realized that it's not as simple as it looks...

• @Smaug said: Steak and lobster here

I'm down with that except for stuffing. I could forgo everything except stuffing with a little gravy to go with it. Actually do they make lobster stuffing? That would be good.

• I haven't been physically able to work in the distillery, and COVID regulations have seriously crimped tasting/selling operations, so things are pretty quiet out our way.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• i've been too busy to post much. The distillery is raging - Being awarded the best liqueur in Australia 2 weeks ago has helped that + Christmas rush preparations

• Congrats @crozdog. Go you good thing.

• Need another 3000 square feet, doing anything these days is like playing Jenga with skids.

• Thanks @DonMateo Pretty stoked.

• I just got news for the title transfer of my first small shed. The transfer was in the Municipality for 18 months. Now I can build my other shed and I am off to the races. Wooohoo...

• @crozdog It sounds like you must have done a lot of stuff awfully right, and congratulations. What products do you feature? @DonMateo Are you taking notes from crozdog for utilizing that new space?

• edited December 2020

My landlord was just talking about your white rum two day's ago Croz, and asking after you.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @zumurgybob. Well I dont know what products @crozdog is making but I have gone through about 25 different whiskey recipes and wood combinations. I have a couple that noone else makes which is a 4 grain multigrain aged on 4 different woods including two from the amazon, and a light Irish aged on a native wood from Tierra del Fuego called Lenga. Its very nice and very distinct and no-one else here is doing it, yet. Most of my whiskey making is potstilling @zymurgybob style. Cant go wrong.

• well done @DonMateo you're on your way

@zymurgybob cheers. The award was for my Moreau Apple Pie Liqueur. This year it's done very well by winning 3 golds (AUISC, London & ADSA), a judges choice (AUISC), a silver (Tasting Australia) and Champion Liqueur (ADSA).

My vodka has picked up a gold & a silver (only entered 2 comps)

I also have a cracking dry gin, but only sell it online & via the cellar door as there's so many gins out there.

Have just released a dry red vermouth made from bushfire smoke tainted shiraz wine. It's got an intense level of flavour meaning you only need gin and it to make a great negroni (plus a bit of orange).

Have a lot of other stuff i'm working on including some new liqueurs and some out there rum ideas.

@punkin, i'm trying to build up some stock to get a "cane spirit drink" released. It won't be til next year. Say hi to him for me please.

• Come say Hi yourself. Bout time you got away.

• @punkin said: Come say Hi yourself. Bout time you got away.

Gotta run in the rebuilt engine & get the AC sorted before I hit the highway.

• @DonMateo, Of course I agree with you about potstilled whiskeys. Not a lot of distillers want to put out the effort to get there, but I firmly believe that's where the best whiskeys are. Keep on keepin' on.

@crozdog, Good job on all of it, but that "bushfire tainted shiraz" really interests me. I figure there has been (and will be more) a lot of smoke-damaged West-coast grapes and wines out there, which is a lot of opportunity for an enterprising distiller. We've distilled a lot of "compromised" wines that made outstanding and salable brandies. Not sure about the smoke, though.

• @zymurgybob. I tried making whiskey with plates a few times. It was good stuff. But when I did double potstilling, that for me was where all the flavor was at, and I was a beleiver. Unfortunately I bought 2 plated columns that now gather dust.

• edited December 2020

I've distilled a few heavy phenolic reds that certainly weren't smoke tainted to begin with but the distillate had a pronounced 'peated' character about it. Especially coming through late in the run.
    I read an interesting local white paper about smoke taint markers and a lot of them are naturally present in certain styles.
    I think it came out of Vintessential after the Vic NE fires last summer.

• edited December 2020

@crozdog said: Have just released a dry red vermouth made from bushfire smoke tainted shiraz wine. It's got an intense level of flavour meaning you only need gin and it to make a great negroni (plus a bit of orange).

While the backstory is terrible, what you are doing here is awesome.

• @zymurgybob the eau de vie was fantastic. Have put 200l in french oak to see how it matures as brandy. FYI there's some amazing pot stilled aussie whiskies being made.

@jacksonbrown the phenolics add some real interest to the distillate. If you can find the link to the article that'd be great - i'd like to read it.

Thanks @grim, yes it was a really bad summer, so it's nice to be able to pull out something good from it. The amount of botanicals I used contributed massively to the flavour intensity. There's a bar here we're selling it to where the staff are now doing shots of it instead of fernet!