StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Diameter Extra Pipe For Adding A Packed Section

When I want extend a 4-plate 4" Dash plated still with a 500mm (20inch) pipe , do I have to use a 4" pipe?

I think the vapor isn't so strong anymore after the plates. Isn't is possible to use a 2" pipe?

Comments

• What do you want to extend it for? Just piping for extra height or do you want a packed section?

A packed section of 2' in a vapour or liquid management column will only run well at around 1.2l/hr.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I want a packed section for little more neutral. 1.2 l/hr is a little slow, I think a 3" pipe runs at around 2.4 liter ? I think you have answered my question, a 4" packed will do best.

• I often run a 4" packed section on top of 4 plates. It works well.

• edited September 2020

@crozdog, will this give you a good neutral?

• I added a 750mm 4” packed section on top of 11 plates. It helped speed up collection at similar quality as the 11 plates. (Increase in quality at same takeoff) but its wasn’t like a huge difference. Now I’m running a 20 plate rig and I’m fairly convinced that after about ten plates, quality lies almost exclusively in the ferment.

The additional plates can help reach azeo easier but I don’t feel like they are making it taste better (I could be wrong here about the 20 plates. I’ve only tried one ferment type with it at this point)

Also the type and density of the packing can make a big difference.

• That's a clear story, thanks, I thought it would be a big difference in taste.

• @fruitfly said: crozdog, will this give you a good neutral?

I'm happy with it. But agree with @Fiji_Spirits that a quality ferment / wash is vital

• edited September 2020

@Fiji_Spirits said: The additional plates can help reach azeo easier but I don’t feel like they are making it taste better

Yeah this is a really interesting phenomenon, every additional plate has less impact on flavor than the plate before, and every additional plate makes for less perceptible impact. Adding a single plate to a 4 plate column, you'll probably notice it. Adding a single plate to 10 plates, probably be hard pressed. By the time you get to 20, you probably need to add 5 or 6 plates at a shot.

I think run speed at a given proof output is far more obvious (maybe far more objective too) way to determine impact.