Pea Starch

Good morning,

I recently came across a connection at a facility that processes feild peas. The peas are milled to a fine flour and hulls removed, then starch and protein is separated.

Anyway we can buy this powdered starch for around 11 cents a pound, so my question is has anyone tried to mash pea starch or any kind of powdered starch?

I'm thinking cook it and convert it with enzymes. Seems like a cheap source of starch and no milling. Hydrating it may be a pain but I'm hoping the grist dehydrator will do the job.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• edited June 2020

Give it a shot. It's starch. Amylose and amylopectin. Any residual flavor should be minimal/mild.

High temp alpha and glucoamylase.

Seeing lots of references to very high gelatinization temps, so it might require some test and try to determine yields.

Flour can be challenging to work with, clumping can be a real issue if you are mashing into hot water. I'd suggest mashing in cold, keeping agitation very high, then heating up to your gel temp.

Straight starch, no protein, is going to be pretty neutral, and keep in mind you will need nutrient, post mash you are making high glucose syrup.

Using peas as a gin base seems like a great marketing angle.

• Thanks for the info @grim, I agree with mashing in cold, also thinking circulating with a pump to smash up any lumps, also may have to add enough milled grain to make it manageable. Time to do some experiments.

• So test is in total fail ....hard to work with low yeild .....off putting flavours

• edited September 2020

I had some really fun results using peas as a nutrient source for a sugar wash. I just rehydrated them then ran them thru a blender, added some dap and let er rip. Ended up with a lovely but dirty Russian/polish style neutral.

I alaways had a problem with clumping and making a mess with a finely ground flowers. I think you might get a better result with a really coarse grind

• Thats not like that green shit polish vodka they make with buffalo grass, dubrowvka or something like that. I tried that once when I was in Armenia. Nasty stuff.

• No. More like a Russian standard vodka.

• edited September 2020

No way man, you haven't had good Zybrowka.

Bison Grass contains coumarin, not legal in many places as it contains Coumarin - like Tonka bean. Sometimes they put some other junk in the bottle. Similar to Tonka, it has a wonderful aroma. Vanilla, lavender, etc.

I get the preferential aspect of it. I feel that any of the anise spirits - ouzo/raki are absolutely awful. Probably lots of people that wouldn't agree.

• @grim. It may have been the night involved. I was at this birthday party for this asshole I hated, but it was a work thing so I had to attend. It was the depth of winter in the mountains of Armenia. It was minus 30 C and there was a meter or so of snow everywhere. Anyway at the end of dinner when the serious drinking started, they brought out this green bison grass vodka. I had a couple and decided to wander back to my shack, which was only about 300m away but when its minus 30 C, three hundred meters can seem like a looooong way, even with cold weather gear on.