StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Alternative Grains for Whiskey

2»

Comments

• Just an update. Well I am doing the stripping run of my rye with toasted rye whiskey and this thing tastes like a light chocolate rye. Its very hard to describe how it tastes. I mean it tastes great and its definitely a rye whiskey but the 10% toasted rye gives it a chocolate type of touch. I don't know if any of you guys have tried 90% cacao or even 95% but its like that. Just a touch. I am going to put it on French oak so as to not over power the ryes with vanillas. Fingers crossed.

• Kinda off topic but I did a run of Derek's Pumpkin Spice Moonshine and will say that I am VERY happy with the results. Perfect blend of spice with just a hint of pumpkin.

• edited June 2020

punkin.jpg
    600 x 800 - 81K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• We are planning on knocking out a bunch of crazy whiskey over the next two months.

Smoking rye malt with citrus wood

Smoking rye malt with sassafras, birch, and a number of other botanicals.

Dark roasts in a few different variations.

• @grim said: We are planning on knocking out a bunch of crazy whiskey over the next two months.

Smoking rye malt with citrus wood

Smoking rye malt with sassafras, birch, and a number of other botanicals.

Dark roasts in a few different variations.

You selling on line yet?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• There is an interesting Webinar by Crisp Maltsters from the UK on the use of alternative/speciality malts if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x72lRZ4aAyA

• Watched it the other day. It’s one of the best distilling webinars I’ve ever watched.

• I was quite surprised by the high percentage of speciality malt in the mash bill at the Holyrood Distillery as personally I have never pushed it above 10%. I imagine they must have fun lautering with 30% chocolate in their mash bill.

• edited July 2020

I just watched this video and its really good.

What stuck me is the limitations that the distilleries there have to work with. It doesn't give them a lot of flavors to explore.

• edited July 2020

We don't bother lautering. That's why we ferment and distill on grain. Yes, even malt whiskies.

I did a mash yesterday with 45% flaked oat.

Good luck lautering that. It's as bad as rye. The end result into the fermenter is a thick porridge.

We've got a heavy peat malt whiskey on deck for next weekend - we'll be mashing and distilling on the grain. I'll be hammer milling the malt. Heresy, I know. But, it works.

• @grim After your last comments I did a heavy smoked stochastic at about 35% smoked. The white whiskey was almost too heavy but its mellow ingredients out in the barrel nicely. I don't think it's an evert day type of whiskey as its very intense but it is a nice mellow ingredients type of drop. Thanks for the pointer. Your a winner. I don't later either ferment on grain. I just got my bain marie boiler working so now I have more options.

• @grim Can I please ask a stupid question ..... how do you get it out of the fermenter when its a "thick porridge" or similar. For sure it has to clog the outlet. What diameter do you have.

• 2”

We use lobe pumps to move mash.

• Well I finally managed to find a craft malster here in Argentina and get a decent supply of malted Rye and the guy will also do runs of Triticale so I getting in touch with the farmer who had a spare 90 tons of triticale.

As well too I dont know where this belongs but I finally got my Bain Marie boiler from my mate and I have run it 3 times. (sorry its not SD but I cant put it in my suitcase). Thanks to all the brains trusts here on instructions on how to run a BM still. Now it opens up a world of great whiskeys I can make. I would post a foto but its against the rules and the design was done when my tank making mate and I were completely smashed on fine whiskey. But it works.

• I'd like to see it. Home made projects don't break the rules as far as i know, just not promotion of competitors products here.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2020

Ok mate. Its just something my mate knocked together.

1.jpg
    450 x 800 - 42K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 55K
    3.jpg
    800 x 450 - 71K
    4.jpg
    800 x 450 - 41K