Pot Still Configuration

Hi Guys,

Brand new here but not new to the spirits business. I own some spirit brands which have been marketed in the UK for some time. We currently have then contact distilled. We are opening a venue, gin school, tasting shows and distillery. The distillery will be for producing our own brands in house and as part of the distillery tour. I've never really distilled apart from having a go on some mini 2.5L alembic stills but I've read and understand the process - sort of.

We now need to spec and buy a 200L - 350L pot still. StillDragon has been recommended to me and I've been through the website. But I'm looking for a configuration of kit that will look special (copper head and columns), produce the gin and at a reasonable budget about £10k all in. I'm happy to put the kit together etc but the options are mind blowing therefore looking for suggestions or pointers or questions that will help me produce a spec and order.

Comments

• edited July 2020

Something like this, but with a basket? Judith and Michael can help you do that.

200l_pot_still.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2020

Hello

We've been in touch by e-mail already.

I always prefer to run gin through plates. My sweet spot is 3 plates, but the beauty of StillDragon kit is that you can add/remove plates to your liking.

I prefer the configuration to the right of this image.

350 litres will cost you more than £10k. Not much more though. A fraction of a Holstein type still.

• Suggested a pot still rather than plated because, well... the title.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2020

Here's the one @Smaug kitted up for me, I need to call and buy this one day.

I'd name her sweet little money maker. Gin Starship.

gin_starship.jpg
    645 x 800 - 43K
  • edited July 2020

@grim, I saw a video @Smaug made about this piece of kit looks great did he give you a price on it?

@punkin, I agree with what I know so far going pot still. Thanks for your comments.

• I found that plates transformed my gin.

So if speccing a pure pot still, keep your options open so you can add plates later if required.

• edited July 2020

Are you starting from ferment or GNS though? Seems to me that plates will improve the vodka, if the gin is vapour infused it comes in after the plates.

• GNS.

Mostly boiler infused, with some vapour infusion.