Anyone know what type of fitting this is?

edited April 2020 in General

Sort of like a 4" tri-clamp with bolt holes presumably to tighten a cap down.

Maybe an attachment point for a mixer?

I need to cap this off.

Comments

• No idea. Its on the top of a 6500 gallon tank I just bought. The gasket of a corney keg almost perfectly fits into the gasket section, and a 4" triclamp cap falls right inside the circle of the 4 bolts. My plan at the moment is to just have the lip of the bolts seal the cap against the gasket, but it would be better if I just knew what this thing was.

• Maybe a ring joint (RTJ) flange?

• edited April 2020

Never seen one might be a custom flange style. From the looks of it, I'd guess the seal is an o-ring.

You could probably just drill corresponding holes in a flat stainless "cap" and sandwich the o-ring to seal. You'd need to break out the calipers to get the o-ring sizing.

• clean it up and see if there are markings on the outer edge... Flange Faces @ EXPLORE the WORLD of PIPING

• This thing is 22' up the air now. Now you tell me!

• looks like a a 3" or 4" RTJ ring gasket

• Probably 4". Where would I buy an appropriate cap for this (USA)?

I know, LMGTFU, but I honestly didn't find anything after 9.6 seconds.

• edited April 2020

@jbierling said: Probably 4". Where would I buy an appropriate cap for this (USA)?

I know, LMGTFU, but I honestly didn't find anything after 9.6 seconds.

Google blind rtj flange.

• edited April 2020

I climbed up and inspected it again.

The diagonal on the holes is about 126mm or 5".

It seems to read

HEAT # 849o04
    ASME SA.240 A89

No other markings.

I'm having some luck finding blind flanges that might work. But I'm not sure if this would be considered a 2" flange or larger and the bolt holes seems small compared to the blind flanges I'm seeing. But to make this a little more interesting, and to keep this appropriate to this site, if someone can help me find exactly what I need to buy (website) in terms of a gasket and flange that fits this, I'll buy you a $20 gift certificate to your favorite StillDragon website.

image.jpg
    800 x 510 - 51K
  • edited April 2020

Most important;

Groove ID & OD & depth …… its detailed dimensions

ID of hole
    OD of flange
    height of flange

Thread size of 126 PCD

• Just make one mate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Get a welder to tig on a triclamp ferrule?

• @grim said: Get a welder to tig on a triclamp ferrule?

I had that thought, but I'm not sure they'd want to work 22' in the air.

@punkin said: Just make one mate.

How?

@richard said: Most important;

I'll try to get more dimensions.

• edited April 2020
    ID of the hole is 75.4mm
    OD of the fitting is 136.8mm
    ID of the gasket is 89.6mm
    OD of the gasket is 100.4mm
    OD of the inner area outside the gasket is 114.9mm

I'd say these measurements are +/- a mm or so.

• Get a piece of flat plate, drill holes where the bolt holes are. Get a sheet of cork, rubber or silicon gasket material and cut a gasket out. You could also just get some o-ring material and cut to length then use Locktite to make an O-ring. pretty sure it's 455 locktite you want.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Buying one seems easier ;)

• edited April 2020

Looks like an hours work to me. pay someone an hour it will probably be the same cost and it will be easy because some other bastard is doing it. (plus you'll have it done in an hour rather than wait for someone to get back to work and send it via the broken post system.)

• @punkin said: (plus you'll have it done in an hour rather than wait for someone to get back to work and send it via the broken post system.)

Very true. I bought a $2000 bottle filling machine off of eBay and it got lost somewhere by the USPS.

• edited April 2020

Find a blind flange with a similar bolt circle and use an o-ring.

304 Stainless Steel Blind Flange, Welded, 2" Pipe Size - Pipe Fitting @Grainger

• Or a few layers of duct tape - that looks like what the last guy used... :)

• I wish that grainger one listed the bolt circle (I'd need a 5" bolt circle). A corney keg gasket would probably work.

Yeah, the use of duct tape on this tank was entertaining.

I guess half my desire to find a fitting is my frustration at not knowing what the hell this is.

• I mean you don't even have to shape the plate to fit, cut a square plate and smooth the sharp edges off, drill 4 holes in it after you make a paper template. Doesn't matter what it looks like up there.

It's on;ly easier to buy it if you know what to buy ;)

• It could be a proprietary mixer flange, 4 bolts on a flange that big seems off.

• edited April 2020

@grim said: It could be a proprietary mixer flange, 4 bolts on a flange that big seems off.

That was one of my thoughts since its at an angle into the tank. The 5/16" bolts are tiny though I think for a mixer.

• This looks like a proprietary gasket / seal

@grim said: Get a welder to tig on a triclamp ferrule?

This as far as I am concerned is the easiest and best solution. Stick up us some scafolding or similar and weld a tri-clover fitting on or whatever else.

But you will get as small step where you transition from the ID of 75.4mm to your fitting .... 3" or DN80.

The other way to do this is to take a concentric reducer (e.g. DN80-DN65) with your preferred tri-clover ferrule welded to the small side and then on the larger side (OD85mm), cut it back so that it mates perfectly with your ID75.4mm.