Distilling Beer

Hello,

We have a lead on beer from a brewery that is already kegged. We were thinking of distilling this. Does anyone have any experience distilling beer that has already been kegged and pre-carbonated?

I suspect we need to get rid as much of the carbonation as we can before we distill.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
PghDistiller

Comments

• Yep you'll need to degas first. Also need to clean your kit really well after as we hop oils will contaminate the inside. you might need to pull everything apart - depending on how you are setup.

I have done this in the past. Wasn't keen on the resulting spirit. As well as concentrating the alcohol, distillation also concentrated the hop bitterness

• If you were to decant into an open vessel with agitator and run the agitator for a day ?? I wonder how beneficial this would be in degassing the beer ??

• Turning the still on de-gasses it nicely :)
    Just add some antifoam

• edited April 2020

Don't waste your time with low alcohol session/light beers (sub 5%), use caution with big IPAs, and keep in mind old Lagers can be skunky (high sulfur) as hell too.

• @grim said: Don't waste your time with low alcohol session/light beers (sub 5%), use caution with big IPAs, and keep in mind old Lagers can be skunky (high sulfur) as hell too.

agreed... I did 2000 cans of 5% beer.. unless you have a continuous, not close to being worth it...