Tri-Clamp Part Suggestions

Hi,

I want to join two pieces of 4" spool but cap off the connection. Any suggestions?

Comments

• copper plate, same diameter as a bubble plate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Hi Punkin,

I have no fabrication skills - it that an off the shelf item?

• and would that create a seal? If i understand what you mean.. just a disc that sits inside the gasket.

• ignore me.. I just looked at a gasket.. makes perfect sense. thanks again.

• D4epends where you are and what size you are after. Contact your local SD rep.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I'm in the UK. I will do - thanks.

• thanks for taking the time to find this for me @grim - I think a more economical solution is a laser cut steel 304 disc off eBay. Sincerely though - thank you.

• your SD rep may be able to order you something like this:

Custom_Tee_With_Slant_Plate.jpg
    800 x 440 - 29K
  • edited March 2020

We do similar for the Double Dragon™ second column false bottom. Although for a 1 off you are better off getting a local fab shop to do it.

• so I got my steel disc, 106mm in diameter - to make it work i would need a gasket without the inner lip - if that makes sense..

at the moment the steel disc rests on the gasket and wont allow a connection to be made

1.jpg
    389 x 800 - 23K
    2.jpg
    389 x 800 - 33K
  • actually that wont create a seal between the two tubes, i wonder if my 1.5mm thick steel disc should be 1mm..

• Will it work if you cut out the inner lip?

• If you cut out the inner lip it will be the same as a plate gasket.

• i did consider cutting out the inner lip, such as you might do when using a gin basket or filter disc - but to create a seal the steel disc must sit atop the gasket else it won't create a seal between the two tubes.

• edited March 2020

Don't know what you are doing. Go either to SD or to a process piping supplier and purchase tri-clover ferrules for the size that you want. These ferrules will then be welded to the pipe.

Assembly1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 28K
  • Is this intended to be somewhat permanent?

• it sure sounds like it is a column/ condenser base... I personally like the one I got from SD, but it is 48" long and has a flange on the bottom... I have requested a short one with TC on each end, like I posted the 3-d drawing of, as having it locally fabricated asks for someone to sanitary weld in a very blind area, which is easy for the people at a factory set up to do it every day, and not so much for a local fab shop...

• edited March 2020

I am busy assembling 2 x Dephlegs', one DN80 (3") and the other DN100 (4") for a 50L keg still that I am busy building.

dephleg 80 assy.jpg
    800 x 600 - 17K
  • yes - permanent.. it's going to be the bottom section of a DIY soxhlet extractor.

I was going to try get one together using off the shelf parts, elbows, gin baskets etc.. I have some items already you see.

But the more time goes on and the further I look into it - a custom fab might be both better and lest expensive.

cheap soxhlet2.jpg
    793 x 752 - 31K
  • @needmorstuff said: i did consider cutting out the inner lip, such as you might do when using a gin basket or filter disc - but to create a seal the steel disc must sit atop the gasket else it won't create a seal between the two tubes.

Try it with a cut gasket & see if you get a leak. If not, all good. If you do, run aquarium silicon around the underside of the join. you could also put a bead of aquarium silicon under/over the plate itself when you assemble the fittings.

• edited March 2020

@needmorestuff maybe you want to better sketch your intended layout. You talk about use of a soxhlet / extractor but I don't see where you have the required extraction volume being stored. I am presuming that you have at least +50L kettle so say up to 20% of that is 10L. I have a 90L soxhlet from having joined two 50L kegs together. Insulation still needs to be added but this gives you an idea.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 50K
  • the extract would be stored in a still directly attached to the bottom TC. I have both a 5l and a 100l kettle,

I love the keg build! care to share any more details? and indeed the protocol for running one? for example do you aim for a specific temp of condensed liquid hitting the target for extraction?

Maybe i need to stop obsessing about the whole thing being mounted directly to the still to give me more options.

• wow @needmorstuff. You always need more stuff.

• you know me well ;-) my handle dates back to when i realised I do actually need more stuff. If only I hadn't spelt it incorrectly.

as years have passed I now need a lot less stuff though I find...