StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Coronavirus - Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizer

edited March 2020 in General

Due to the shortage of hand sanitizer products, you can make your own using 2/3 ethanol (around 96%) and 1/3 Aloe Vera Gel. Apparently you need over 60% alcohol to kill the virus in the preparation so don't use drinking vodka at 40% or waste cask strength whisky @ 64% but ethanol collected at 96+ is good. Better still use the heads that you were going to throw or recycle.

Comments

• We bottle our first batch Monday.

• Right on @Fiji_Spirits, we were just taking about this in the distillery yesterday. I wish we hadn't used up all our foreshots over the the winter. Guess we'll have to start saving them instead of using them.

Tim

• Was speaking to some other people last week re. carbonation of alcopops. None the less they were saying they are currently doing a project where they are nitrogenating a cream for its dispensing. When dispensed it comes out like a sort of moose.

• I was thinking about this. Its easy to get your hands on ethyl alcohol here but the outbreak is just starting now.

• edited March 2020

I just made some using an Aloe Vera hand gel. I found that its not pure Aloe but doesn't matter the spirit disolves the Aloe and the additives fall out of suspension as a white paste. Filter and good to go. Pure Aloe would be better but also hard get where as comercial Aloa hand gel is everywhere.

• First thing, people need to realize that this is a Psy Op among other things. Regular Flu kills over 10k annual. You don't want to be putting anything on your hands that will make them crack. This is a colossal mistake and will compromise your immune system. The age of hand sanitizers is xenophobia made real. They create a lot of problems and are outlawed in certain states for good reasons. There is too much hype, paranoia, and mind control around this issue to currently get at the truth of it.

• 70% alcohol or foreshots above that ABV is a good sanitizer.

Sanitizers are sold out in most countries and nearly out of stock in hospitals.

Covid-19 is a real thing. We are near Italy and it is clear, that what happens there is no drill - people die, alone today more than 133 in addition to the flu! Hospitals in Austria are out of masks and sanitizers too, surgeries have to be postboned. This is getting ugly.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Aloe vera stops your hands from cracking from the alcohol. Dont use heads straight on your skin.

This virus is getting more attention than the normal flu because of its ability to over welm the worlds medical facilities. Hand sanitizing is one of the easiest things we can do which will slow transmition down to help us manage services better. A percentage will still die just like with all the other virus we have.

• Yes, the flu kills more people (so far), but covid-19 spreads easier with similar mortality.

• edited March 2020

image.jpg
    739 x 784 - 73K
  • edited March 2020

image.jpg
    685 x 800 - 64K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2020

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!! 8-|

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited March 2020

@punkin said:

Yes, I know I should have learned my lesson by now, but what the hell? Over.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• All the supermarkets here haveempty shelves of TP. People are incredibly stupid, theres still plenty of food.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2020

Whenever there is a hurricane coming our way, the shelves are stripped of bottled water, TP, and rice. The same thing is happening here now.
    Toilet paper? Really?
    Hello? - Coronaviruses are respiratory infections, not stomach infections. (No diarrhea)

The USCDC just reported that one's susceptibility to being affected by COVID-19 is directly proportional to one's susceptibility to fake news (aka irrational hysteria).

Reminiscent of the Y2K end-of-the-worlders back in the day.

• ah - in China they reported also diarrhea as side effect of the virus. But it could be a side effect of not good hygiene too.

People who stock food are not stupid. We have a total shut down in Italy now. So to avoid getting infected it makes sense to stay at home as much as possible. This is the best way to slow down the infection.

The virus per se is not as deadly it has only 3 to 5% letality. but the fact that the medical care can not be provided any more as we are used to, so that people will let to die in the hospital to help younger ones and the fact, that too many people in ICU care will take away space for the usual patient makes it deadly. That is what we have seen in Italy and in Wuhan (letality 10% and more!). Too many people at once sick. So if you have planned a heart attack it might be good to do it now, because in 2 or 3 weeks not even the ambulance will come in time and they will think twice if they intubate you or someone that is younger and has kids - triage.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Thanks @sunshine. Where I am in Argentina its just getting started but they don't have the resources other countries do. They don't have much of a health system as it is. The older people are just going to have to die. Still it might help out with global warming.

aramco.jpg
    800 x 420 - 42K

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• PLEASE TAKE THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC SERIOUSLY!

STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!

coronavirus.jpg
    800 x 600 - 90K

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited March 2020

Damn things are sneaking up on Gilligan’s Island! What could possibly be more serious?!

image.jpg
    800 x 450 - 29K

• edited March 2020

Maybe this?

image.jpg
    600 x 600 - 53K

• I am giving away gallon jugs of Rum foreshots proofed from 190 down to 160 to the 7 breweries and a few other businesses I trust in our downtown... If I supplied to any old jackwagon, they would likely drink the stuff..

• DISCUS guide.. links to WHO formula #1(ethanol based) they have 96%, 192 proof... and no aloe vera..

Distilled Spirits Council Guidance on Distiller Production of Hand Sanitizer to Address COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)

pdf
    pdf
    DISCUS-Guidance_Hand-Sanitizer_20.3.18.pdf
  • 96 for sanitizing surface spray not direct on skin. The WHO formula is >60% after dilution of a carrier, eg Aloe Vera. So 2/3 alcohol at 96% to 1/3 carrier as a minimum ratio I go a bit more alcohol to be safe.

• Heading to my local chem supplier in the morning.

Bottles are going to be a challenge for us. Glass is too large and too expensive to give away.

Plus I don’t want someone to drink it.

• the PDF has a link to the calculator spreadsheet, FYI...

• @trebor said: 96 for sanitizing surface spray not direct on skin. The WHO formula is >60% after dilution of a carrier, eg Aloe Vera. So 2/3 alcohol at 96% to 1/3 carrier as a minimum ratio I go a bit more alcohol to be safe.

please read the PDF, the formulas it links to are most certainly for hands, the 96% is an 'ingredient' in the formula...

• Looks like Chloroquinine is good to kill the virus. Get it before it sells out.