StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Bottle Condensation

edited February 2020 in General

We are having issues with bottle condensation in the neck of our Gins, any body experienced this and hot to solve the problem?

Comments

• It's a common thing. I don't believe that anyone knows what causes it or how to fix it. Sorry.

• It has something to do with change in atmospheric pressure out side the bottle, the appearance of condensation appears when weather systems change. It's a great way to predict the weather rivaled only by watching pig spleens, muskrat houses, and perspiration found on large breasts. Its a old science I don't try to understand it. Far be it from me to question such things.

Tim

• The lady I built the distillery for/with was very concerned about this in our first bottling. I couldn't think of any reason it shouldn't happen, at least often. We now happily ignore it.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• An 80 proof bottle does after all contain 60% water.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited February 2020

@hudsonbaydistiller, you left out woolly bear caterpillar bands and especially the little houses with Hansel, Gretel, and the witch.

• edited February 2020

@zymurgybob said: hudsonbaydistiller, you left out woolly bear caterpillar bands and especially the little houses with Hansel, Gretel, and the witch.

He included the bit about perspiration on large breasts for heavens sake. The rest is just white noise.....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Now that's funny! (Of course I've been a little weird today)

• Ok, who the hell has control over my font?

• Moonshine works in mysterious ways....

EvenToHimPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @zymurgybob said: Ok, who the hell has control over my font?

That's because you used the # sign instead of @ to mention hudsonbaydistiller. A line starting with the hash sign makes it a heading. The two affected postings have already been corrected.

P.S. You can use the Markdown link below the text editor box to get more information about how formatting with Markdown works. ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I was kinda being serious, is it possible that change in atmosphiric preasure out side the bottle affects the ability to cause condensation in the bottle, or would pressures in bottle be constant because its sealed?

I have noticed if the outside of the bottle is wet its probably raining.

Tim

• If it's laying on it's side it's windy.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Or empty and im laying beside it . Probably is still windy

• Thanks @Moonshine. I'm glad you're here to help.

• @zymurgybob said: Thanks Moonshine. I'm glad you're here to help.

Always at your service. Markdown may not be everybody's thing, but it really is a lot easier than BBCode that other forums use. But never mind if any formatting should go wrong, all posts are checked (and corrected) for readability on a daily basis. After all, creating a source of information that is easy to read and distraction free (without being plastered with stupid advertisements) in what this here is all about. :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• You're a gentleman and at least part of the reason that, after all of the fora and lists I used to read have fallen by the wayside, and even if I wouldn't know a bubble plate from a dishpan, this is pretty much the only forum I read anymore. Ok, there's still a a little bit of AD gasping along, but this list is still really alive.

• Hear hear. You are doing a fine job mate.

• @derrick66 if it's of any help, one of the observations we made was temperature of bottles. If we shifted them from the cold storage barn to the distillery just prior to cleaning and filling we had more instances of condensation than if we filled bottles that had been in the distillery. We now always ensure bottles are shifted to the distillery at least 24 hours (depending on time of year) prior to filling, so as to balance the glass, gin and ambient temperature.

• We bottle everything at 43%. But if we bottle on a cold day, as the product warms and cools we get condensation in the clear products.

There is a sure cure for condensation in the neck and also solves tiny bottle filling issues.

Solid color neck bands that cover below the fill line!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Someone argued with me to no end that the only solution to this issue was to rinse the bottles with the spirit being bottled.

He couldn’t explain to me why shaking the bottle didn’t accomplish the exact same thing.

• To me the interesting question is the condensation alcohol, water or both in the same or different % as the spirit. In a closed system like a bottle I believe the relative "humidity" in the air space is 100% as evaporation will fill the space until it is equal to the vapor pressure of the spirit. I just wonder what happens for condensation. I guess it would be equal % as the spirit but maybe not.

• I found condensation in a bottle of previously opened Campari today. None of the other bottles had it.